This month I bought a used 50 with a (repainted) stand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm tapping out!

I can't continue a conversation where I will be continuously talked down too. Thanks but I'm out...
Just want to jump in and say ive not seen anything here that i would consider being "talked down to". Perhaps you arent reading comments in the manner in which they were made. Everything has been polite and constructive and given your circumstances aimed towards making your endeavours in the hobby a simpler experience.

When someone tells me to do it this way otherwise I shouldn't buy any more Discus!! In my view that is a condescending comment.

With that said, I'm not feeling the love!

When someone tells me to do it this way otherwise I shouldn't buy any more Discus!! In my view that is a condescending comment.

With that said, I'm not feeling the love!
I would be disappointed if anyone gave you any other advice when you yourself say you cant dedicate the time and energy towards keeping these demanding fish.

You might not like what you are being told, but all anyone is trying to do is make your life easier and avoid future disappointment.

If I end up harming my fish, I couldn't have done anything differently than what I'm already doing. Where my spirit is willing but my body is failing me. Maybe my methods aren't up to your standards but the fish are thriving, so I think I'm on the ball as far as my care is going down.

I intend to learn how to use an advanced water testing kit and learn how to improve my water chemistry parameters. But if anybody wants to volunteer their maguiverig skillz and time and energy doing water changes for me, I'll say come on over and do it! It seems to me that I'm expected to have a permanent fresh river reservoir pumping directly from my bathtub otherwise I'm a "non-compliant" aquariest.

I think my methods (even if I can increase to 20% water changes) should be adequate to support 2 or 3 various young discus. My fish/pet supplier thinks my setup and efforts is adequate for my small scale ambitions.

I'm open to suggestions about how to feed or care for the fish within ​my limitations. But to be told that I should not own a discus if I don't follow this specific regiment is not constructive advice.

If I end up harming my fish, I couldn't have done anything differently than what I'm already doing. Where my spirit is willing but my body is failing me. Maybe my methods aren't up to your standards but the fish are thriving, so I think I'm on the ball as far as my care is going down.

I intend to learn how to use an advanced water testing kit and learn how to improve my water chemistry parameters. But if anybody wants to volunteer their maguiverig skillz and time and energy doing water changes for me, I'll say come on over and do it! It seems to me that I'm expected to have a permanent fresh river reservoir pumping directly from my bathtub otherwise I'm a "non-compliant" aquariest.

I think my methods (even if I can increase to 20% water changes) should be adequate to support 2 or 3 various young discus. My fish/pet supplier thinks my setup and efforts is adequate for my small scale ambitions.

I'm open to suggestions about how to feed or care for the fish within ​my limitations. But to be told that I should not own a discus if I don't follow this specific regiment is not constructive advice.

Again there are tons of fish less demanding than discus, why not try those since you say your not physically able or willing to put the time and effort in to keeping what any source you go to will say is a expert/difficult to keep fish? And a few days or weeks is not enough time to say something is thriving. Also your lfs will tell you what ever they want to get you to spend money, especially on an expensive fish that’s not em the easiest to sell due to the care requirements. I’m not trying to make anything off of you, just trying to help you enjoy a great hobby. I’ve heard lfs employees tell people ridiculous lies (blue tangs can fit just fine in a 10 gallon tank) either because they don’t know better or they just want a sale. Make it easier on yourself and don’t waste a bunch of money on one of the more expensive fw fish. You can have a beautiful colorful active tank that needs 1 water change a week with easier to care for fish, to me that’s a no brainer, why set yourself up for failure?

Back
Top Bottom