Powerhead or circulation pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so newbie question. I'd been hearing powerhead will help keep junk from settling between rocks and on sand so I went to get one. But powerheads look like they're meant for under gravel filters???? Air circulation pumps looked more like what I wanted so I grabbed a aqueon 950 and put it in my 72. Now all the food and the fish get whipped to the opposite end of tank in current! But waters clearer than ever! So do I add another one at the opposite end of tank to off set and also my fish are small should I be using less powerful ones?

Ok so newbie question. I'd been hearing powerhead will help keep junk from settling between rocks and on sand so I went to get one. But powerheads look like they're meant for under gravel filters???? Air circulation pumps looked more like what I wanted so I grabbed a aqueon 950 and put it in my 72. Now all the food and the fish get whipped to the opposite end of tank in current! But waters clearer than ever! So do I add another one at the opposite end of tank to off set and also my fish are small should I be using less powerful ones?
I know you probably have already but did you try repostioned it, changing the directional flow???

I know you probably have already but did you try repostioned it, changing the directional flow???

I have. Either way with one of them only its gonna push everything around to the other end. I have 2 hob filters and this is mounted on side facing the other end a out half way height wise and angled slightly upward to blow stuff up. Do you thinki should do a second? I'd shoot a vid but can't upload it from phone

I have. Either way with one of them only its gonna push everything around to the other end. I have 2 hob filters and this is mounted on side facing the other end a out half way height wise and angled slightly upward to blow stuff up. Do you thinki should do a second? I'd shoot a vid but can't upload it from phone
Personally i wouldn't. I have my powerhead in a similar position to you. I had a similar problem also, so i point it towards the front glass. This created a current that runs around all the glass, front->far side->backwall->nearside. The current now wasn't as strong in the middle but the flow from the canister sorts that out. I don't have 100% coverage of the whole tank, a few small dead spots but for me it does the job...
I hope i explained the flow direction properly!!!

Personally i wouldn't. I have my powerhead in a similar position to you. I had a similar problem also, so i point it towards the front glass. This created a current that runs around all the glass, front->far side->backwall->nearside. The current now wasn't as strong in the middle but the flow from the canister sorts that out. I don't have 100% coverage of the whole tank, a few small dead spots but for me it does the job...
I hope i explained the flow direction properly!!!

Gotcha. Thanks for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom