Proper setup for Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imcgary

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 46g bow front aquarium that i have had empty for several months now. I also have a 125g high light fairly heavy planted aquarium that i currently only have mollies in right now. started with 4 now have about 30 (mostly Babies).

I want an Angel tank but i am not sure if i want to move the mollies to the 46g and use the 125 for angels or if i just want to use the 46 for the angels. Also what is the ideal environment i.e. water temp hardness ph lighting etc. for the angels.

Angels are pretty adaptable to a wide range of ph levels. I know someone who has them in basically liquid rock and they've even spawned in that environment.

A ph of 6.8 - 7.4 is pretty standard. I keep my temp at 81F.

As far as the tank is concerned, putting them in the 125 is a splendid idea.

I also recommend moving the mollies to the 46 gallon tank and putting the angels in the 125g. Angels do well in a planted aquarium and will use plant leaves (like swords) to spawn. With a tank that large you could have many angels along with other fish such as apistos, rams, otos, cories, etc. The 46g would only really leave you room for 2 pair of adult angels at best.

that is a great lead in to my next question. What other tankmates would you put in with the angels if going with the 125g tank.

In addition to the species I mentioned earlier you could go with plecos as well as some of the larger tetras. Do not get neon tetras because angels see them as food on the fin.

A school of black neons looks really nice. And you could do the blue and red neons if you get the larger ones. I have a 55 gallon planted tank with a pair of angels that are about 5" and 4" not including fins, and one 3/4" neon tetra that is left and the angels never bother him, and the tetra doesn't hide either.

I have my angels in with schools of Cherry Barbs, Pristella and Rosey Tetras and Raspbora Hets, as well as corries and a BN Pleco. They all seem to be doing quite well together.

Back
Top Bottom