Question!:)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeperOfFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there any type of Cichlid that will work in a community tank with...
Paradise Fish
DG
Penguin Tetras
Australian Rainbows
Peppered Corys
I want a Cichlid to spice up my tank you could say but not sure if any would work in my tank with these fish. Thanks in advance for yalls advice:)

KeeperOfFish said:
Is there any type of Cichlid that will work in a community tank with...
Paradise Fish
DG
Penguin Tetras
Australian Rainbows
Peppered Corys
I want a Cichlid to spice up my tank you could say but not sure if any would work in my tank with these fish. Thanks in advance for yalls advice:)

Bolivian rams all the way :)

I get that a lot just not the biggest fan of them...and plus my local LFS doesnt have them and I don't want to order them so any others?

Bolivian rams all the way :)
Yeah, Rams are the only ones I know of personally that are ok in a community tank. Well, angels are cichlids too, but they need a fair amount of space. In order to have them in a community tank, you sort of need to build the community around them.

Rams and angels are the only type of cichlids that can go into a community tank. If you want something different why not a red tail shark? Or a few silver dollars?

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, Rams are the only ones I know of personally that are ok in a community tank. Well, angels are cichlids too, but they need a fair amount of space. In order to have them in a community tank, you sort of need to build the community around them.

Oh ok I might get some Bolivian rams but idk and I already have angels in my other tank soo ya but thanks guys:)

Oscarr19 said:
Rams and angels are the only type of cichlids that can go into a community tank. If you want something different why not a red tail shark? Or a few silver dollars?

It would be really cool to have a shark just worried about the size and aggression

What about Kribs, apistogrammas, Keyholes....? I have an african butterfly cichlid that is doing well in my community tank.

What size is your tank? I think rainbows are less aggressive and prettier IMO but either need a 55 or larger I believe.. Apistos are cool... Check out the double reds

Get a cichlid but size of tank would matter, but i would never put a rainbow shark in a community tank much to aggresive. I would put Kirbensis in there, there is a profile of them in my signiture or the Apistos would work well too. Keyhole cichlids would work well too because they dont get too large and are a great species.

Both yalls posts are like the complete opposite lol..but I appreciate your advice...I will check out the cichlids and shark and research more in depth but there's just something about be able to say " I have a shark" that gets me excited ya know? Lol

Oh yeah my tank is a 55 gallon

I'm not saying get a shark :) I'm just saying If u do they need at least a 55g and I thought rainbows were less aggressive than red tails with were recommended to you... It's up to u...

Flossie said:
I'm not saying get a shark :) I'm just saying If u do they need at least a 55g and I thought rainbows were less aggressive than red tails with were recommended to you... It's up to u...

Ps sharks are really cool and some ppl have them in community tanks but I have heard they can be pretty aggresive

Flossie said:

I know haha I have a 55 and I would love to have one plus I'm worried about their aggression but I'm more worried about getting a Cichlid and it eating my other smaller fish I'm gonna have to think about this one.....i looked at the kribensis Cichlid and their so beautiful:) but I still don't know and ya sharks are really cool lol

KeeperOfFish said:
I know haha I have a 55 and I would love to have one plus I'm worried about their aggression but I'm more worried about getting a Cichlid and it eating my other smaller fish I'm gonna have to think about this one.....i looked at the kribensis Cichlid and their so beautiful:) but I still don't know and ya sharks are really cool lol

I don't think kribs or apistos are aggressive or big enough to eat your other fish. Jason had some good advice :)

Kribensis if not kept in pairs are great in a community tank as well as the Key hole cichlids and the Aspitogrammas. They will set up a territory but they wont kill to defend it unless they have breed thats when they get super aggesive

Jason7894561230 said:
All im saying is that Rainbow sharks are aggresive too and be prepared for dead fish....

If it has it own cave as territory it should be fine. He has a good tank size and many community aquariums have sharks.

Back
Top Bottom