Question about breeding with Assorted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my 54 gallon aquarium for about 2 years now. Most of the current fish I have, have been acquired over the last 6 months. In it I have (1) pleco 9 inches long, (1) Jack Dempsey about 6 inches long, (1) male Livingstonii about 4 inches w/ (2) females 3-3.5 long, (1) male Fuellborni 3.5 inches, (1) Male Ventustus 3.5 inches, (1) male peacock cichlid 2.5 inches w/ (1) female 2.5 inches, (2) red zebra cichlids sex unknown about 4 inches, and (1) M. Auratus female about 3 inches.

To this point I have never noticed any signs of breeding. What are the chances that my Peacocks or Livingstonii's will breed and is there anything I can do to encourage it?

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 77
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 69
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 64
You have a lot of nice fish there, but they shouldn't be in the same tank. You've got South Americans and Africans. Different water parameters and dietary needs.

I have wondered about that the more I get into the hobby, however they all seem to be doing very well. I am surprised that their aggressiveness tends to be very mild with each other. As a matter of fact the least aggressive of the bunch is the one South American. "Jack" is the largest but actually tends to break up any aggressiveness shown by the Africans. I feed them a small amount several times a day, mainly flake, but also throw in shrimp pellets a couple times a week. I also throw some canned peas in every couple of weeks. I am definately open to dietary advice if anyone has some.

Also, concerning differing water conditions, while I have things set up for the Africans (all of their parameters I believe are VERY similar), the Jack Dempsey has actually lived in this tank longer than any of the others.

The aggression isn't so much the issue as the water/dietary needs. I'm sure there are much more qualified people than I to help you on this but I do know that Africans and SA like different water conditions and that while a jd needs the protein a red zebra is an algae eater. Can they live happily together? Sure! But I can't help but think they would be happier and certainly healthier given the optimum conditions.

All that said, I'm glad your fish are getting along. It's great having a Dom male that can keep everyone in line without having to fight them. I had a jd once and absolutely loved him and if I didn't have African tanks would get another jd in a heart beat!

Good luck with finding the info you need!

I do appreciate the info. I have actually been thinking about getting a third tank (my other one is just a 30 gallon that I keep goldfish in). I will seriously look into the things you have mentioned once I get it. Thank you so much for your input.

Back
Top Bottom