Question on PWC's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBrods

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
when you change the water using a hose, it puts in water with the chlorine. How do you add the chlorine remover and add the salt to the water?

PBrods said:
when you change the water using a hose, it puts in water with the chlorine. How do you add the chlorine remover and add the salt to the water?

I would just add the chlorine remover when it's done and the salt I would just mix it with some tank water than add it

Harryhorse said:
I would just add the chlorine remover when it's done and the salt I would just mix it with some tank water than add it

+1 BUT add the dechlorinator first before you start adding new water in. Make sure to turn all heaters and filters off during the PWC also.

Mumma.of.two said:
+1 BUT add the dechlorinator first before you start adding new water in. Make sure to turn all heaters and filters off during the PWC also.

Why do you turn off the filters etc? I only turn everything off if I'm doing a 50% change.

If I run the water directly into the tank (when I'm in a rush) I add dechlorinater in slowly.I'll start out with about 10ml but every 5 minutes or so I'll add 5ml

I drain with an aqueon water changer. Add Prime directly to the tank dosing for volume of tank (not amount of water put in).

Gently stir the tank and then (not too fast) add water at correct temp.

30% PWC's are above my intake so I leave the filter on. If I do a 50% PWC, I shut the filter down and turn it back on sometime before the tank is filled.

Mumma: When do you turn your filter back on? Are you afraid the tap will damage your BB in the filter?

Ardynas said:
Mumma: When do you turn your filter back on? Are you afraid the tap will damage your BB in the filter?

Personally I am. I keep all my filters off for about 15-30 minutes after adding new water. Durring this time I run 2 air stones. I. Prime dose buckets as I add them. It may take a bit longer but I would be devastated if my tank crashed.

Personally I am. I keep all my filters off for about 15-30 minutes after adding new water. Durring this time I run 2 air stones. I. Prime dose buckets as I add them. It may take a bit longer but I would be devastated if my tank crashed.

If you're using buckets, and the water is treated 'before' adding to tank... I don't see how it could affect your beneficial bacteria.

edit: according to Searchem tech support, Prime works instantly on contact.
http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=2779

I turn them off for a few reasons.
I don't want any chlorinated water making its way into the filter.
I don't want to damage the filter if sand or something is kicked up while I'm adding new water.
IMO you should turn all electrical things in the water off if you are going to have your hands in the tank. You have to keep yourself safe as well as your fish!

Back
Top Bottom