Should I use aquarium salt and epsom salt when treating for dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
My betta has dropsy and I have aquarium salt in the tank to treat it, and I also want to give him epsom salt baths, but I can't find anything on if you are should do both.
In another fish that had dropsy a while ago, I would take a gallon of tank water and add epsom salt to it so that it didn't shock the fish, but I'm not sure if I can do this since there is aquarium salt in his tank water. Can they be mixed? If not, how should I go about giving epsom salt baths, or should I at all? I want to give him the best chance of recovery. I think that he is constipated, which I read that epsom salt baths can help with which is why I want to do both.
Also, is kanaplex more effective in the water or the food? I've seen conflicting views on this and I want to do whatever will help him the most.

According to Hollywood Fish Farms:'"Epsom salt for treating dropsy
Dropsy is a potentially fatal condition in which the kidneys of a fish fail, leading to fluid retention. A fish experiencing dropsy has a bloated abdomen and raised scales. Epsom salt may be used as part of dropsy treatment by isolating the sick fish in a separate “hospital” tank, then adding Epsom salt at a rate of 1/8 teaspoon for every 19L of water. The Epsom salt will relieve swelling. Never use aquarium salt, or any other type of sodium, to treat a fish with dropsy: It may worsen the condition."

I might add that adding aquarium salt to any freshwater aquarium serves no purpose. If the fish has parasite then a short bath in saltwater is warraanted. But its a myth that adding aquarium salt to a freshwater tank has benefits; it does not.

My betta has dropsy and I have aquarium salt in the tank to treat it, and I also want to give him epsom salt baths, but I can't find anything on if you are should do both.
In another fish that had dropsy a while ago, I would take a gallon of tank water and add epsom salt to it so that it didn't shock the fish, but I'm not sure if I can do this since there is aquarium salt in his tank water. Can they be mixed? If not, how should I go about giving epsom salt baths, or should I at all? I want to give him the best chance of recovery. I think that he is constipated, which I read that epsom salt baths can help with which is why I want to do both.
Also, is kanaplex more effective in the water or the food? I've seen conflicting views on this and I want to do whatever will help him the most.

There is a big debate whether to use aquarium salt for Dropsy since it causes the fish to retain fluid which is what Dropsy is so IMO, it's best to not use it for Dropsy. Epsom salt is Magnesium sulfate vs sodium chloride so they can be used together. I would do a water change while the fish is in the bath to help reduce the salt in the tank. Smaller daily water changes would be even better. If the Betta is the only fish in the tank, I would do a 100% water change and then acclimate the fish back into the aquarium after the bath.

As for Kanaplex, it works best if given in the food but kanamycin is absorbed through the skin so if the fish is not eating, it will still be effective. Be aware tho that Kanaplex works best in higher Ph water so if your Ph is below 7.2, I would only use it in the food or switch to Maracyn 2 for low Ph water.

Ok, thanks. To do the epsom salt bath, should I take out a gallon of his tank water then and add epsom salt to it or use fresh water that is the same temperature?

Ok, thanks. To do the epsom salt bath, should I take out a gallon of his tank water then and add epsom salt to it or use fresh water that is the same temperature?

I'd use new water and if you can keep him warm outside of the tank, I wouldn't add him back in until you dilute the aquarium salt. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom