Rainbow shark with Africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
K, went to my LFS to get a Rainbow shark because I understand it would do well with my African cichlids. LFS told me try like to be in pairs and If I watch them I'll see they follow each other. What gives? I thought with rainbows and red-tailed sharks you only want 1? Is this just someone trying to get me to buy more or is if true?

A representative told me the same thing, to get at least 2. But after doing research, only get two if you have a huge tank.

What size tank?

Unless the tank is ginormous, only get one. I say this from experience. As they mature, so does their level of aggression.

90 gallon tank, do you think 1? Also, what about 1 rainbow and 1 synodintis catfish?

CraigMac said:
90 gallon tank, do you think 1? Also, what about 1 rainbow and 1 synodintis catfish?

That would be fine. Get 3-4 synodontis tho. They are social fish and will be more active with more fish.

I have a red tailed shark in my 75g tank no issues at all. Also have 2 Synodontis,African feather fin, and an upside down CF. no issues with any of them.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
4 synodydus in a 90 gallon is tooo many.

I disagree... I guess it really depends on which synodontis though. I have 8 but mine are dwarf peteicola.

joel618 said:
I disagree... I guess it really depends on which synodontis though. I have 8 but mine are dwarf peteicola.

Ya those are differant then the regular synodontis, the typical ones can reach 10". So 4 of those in a 75 is too much

Research all the synodontis species. Just like not all tetras are the same, so it is with synos.

Getting good information under your belt will save both you and your fish by limiting mistakes.

LyndaB said:
Research all the synodontis species. Just like not all tetras are the same, so it is with synos.

Getting good information under your belt will save both you and your fish by limiting mistakes.

BUT once u make a mistake you never make it again lol. I had my 10g in my bathroom with a shower in it the raise and drop in the temp water ended up giving my fish some ich

Back
Top Bottom