Ram Behavior Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cincotta82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

My gf and I decided on adding German Blue Rams to our 20 gal a couple weeks ago. I've read online and the guys at the LFS recommended they do best in pairs. Since we weren't really worried about breeding we followed the advice and got 2 tankmate males (we think they are males, but are not sure..they don't have the pink bellies as I read with females). Anyway ever since adding them to our tank, one Ram seems dominant over the other...always chasing him around the tank. The dominant male is brightly colored, while the Beta male has far less color, except during feeding, in which both have striking coloration. Should we be worried about stress on the Beta male, is this behavior normal??

Thanks in advance for any help!

This behavior is pretty normal, I keep 2 pairs in a 20 gallon high and they squabble over territory all the time (more when they have eggs, less when they don't) but they never hurt each other and usually retreat back onto their own side of the tank after a little facing off and nudging. It takes them a few days to get established so you'll probably notice more aggression right now but they should settle down more over time.

Back
Top Bottom