Ram Spawning and question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfspyder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Rams have spawned again! The first time was about 2 weeks ago and they ended up eating the eggs. I think it was the male and the other female in the tank that did the eating. I went and got one of those breeding nets to stick on the side of the tank, as I don't have another tank. My question is this... should I move the eggs into the net and put the mother in there too? or just the eggs?

i had the same prob with my convicts.But the father was eating them.so i moved the mother and egg to a 20gal.and now i have free swimming fry.I would move the eggs.But i think i read something about rams not beaing good parents.so u might want to just move the eggs.im sure someone else will let you know if im wrong gl.

i had the same prob with my convicts.But the father was eating them.so i moved the mother and egg to a 20gal.and now i have free swimming fry.I would move the eggs.But i think i read something about rams not beaing good parents.so u might want to just move the eggs.im sure someone else will let you know if im wrong gl.

my opinion (luck git *grrrr*) is leave them where they are, the first couple of times they will eat their eggs, it takes them a couple of goes to get it right once they do they are actually very good parents... The other thing i would say is if you don't have another tank, where are you planning on raising the fry? i think they can lay up to something like 200 eggs so ur bound to get a good sized batch out of that lot at one point...

what type of rams have you got German or bolivian?

oh and im not speaking from experience just what ive read (and memory - which can be sketchy at times :lol:) , i havent even got my bolivians to pair up yet!!

From what I can tell I have a male German Ram(at least the store said it was) and female Blue Rams(again what the store said and they match pictures of blue rams that I've seen). The male's coloration is slightyly different from the Blue Rams, his eyes are orange instead of red and his blue is darker. His front lower fins seem to be a little longer than blue ram males, but I can't be to sure of that.

I ended up picking up the driftwood they laid the eggs on and put it (and them) in the breeder's net. Quite a few turned white and I removed what I could from the rest. I felt bad removing the eggs from the parents, as the Rams went to that spot and were pecking around. So, I put the female in the net with the eggs, but she didn't want any part of that and was just looking for a way out.

Next time I think I will try letting them handle the eggs again. I know I saw the male eating some last time, but it could have been the white ones, or maybe all turned white...

As far as what I will do with the fry.... keep them in the net I guess, and if I have any that survive and grow then I will worry about another tank :wink:

It is never too early to plan on...I mean to worry about...another tank. If nothing else you are putting together an early Christmas list.

Back
Top Bottom