Rams and melafix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discusapisto

Aquarium Advice Freak
I Have had several friends as of lately tell me after dosing there tanks with melafix within days the rams develop bloating and die. I myself own rams and have never used melafix on them to witness this phenomenon. So being the way that I am I can give you this much info on their tanks after looking into this. All the rams in question were kept in single pairs in 20 gallon longs with one group of dither tetras various species none that picked on the rams. Also none of the tetras had bloat according to them. Also water params are zero's across the board with 50% weekly water changes. Temp is 82F in the couple tanks in question. Diet is flake/ pellet foods twice a day, frozen bw once a week, white worms live twice a week and one starve or fast day a week. Ph is 6.4-6.8 in the tanks in question. So I figured since I don't use melafix I'd ask some body if they have heard of this?

Never heard of it happening. I dont own rams but my buddy breeds them ill ask him if hes heard of this. Im interested to find out

I have not heard of that specifically with rams before. It honestly wouldn't surprise me too much though. I have heard of bettas having issues with melafix and some other sensitive fish as well. I am curious to see if other people have had similar experiences.

Harryhorse said:
I have two gbr rams and have used melaflex and it did not hurt them at all.

If you don't mind me asking was it a full dose and for how many days? I've never heard of this till like six of my aquarium club members brought it to my attention at a meeting since I'm the dwarf cichlid guy in my club and I honestly have never used the stuff. Especially with any of the ram species. I always thought it was a safe product to use. I'm interested to hear more experiences on this I'd like to help my club members out and anyone on here that needs to know about this. If it were one or two people I wouldn't be alarmed but six people got me thinking if this melafix reaction is possible or not. Thanks guys.

Cichlid-dude said:
Never heard of it happening. I dont own rams but my buddy breeds them ill ask him if hes heard of this. Im interested to find out

Thanks please do. I breed them too but the only disease I've ever had a ram German/Bolivian get was ich that's about it maybe pop eye here and there from fighting but never bloat issues.

Discusapisto said:
If you don't mind me asking was it a full dose and for how many days? I've never heard of this till like six of my aquarium club members brought it to my attention at a meeting since I'm the dwarf cichlid guy in my club and I honestly have never used the stuff. Especially with any of the ram species. I always thought it was a safe product to use. I'm interested to hear more experiences on this I'd like to help my club members out and anyone on here that needs to know about this. If it were one or two people I wouldn't be alarmed but six people got me thinking if this melafix reaction is possible or not. Thanks guys.

Yer it was a full dose and if I recall it was for three days.it was for my neons but my to female gbrs were fine.so not shore

Asked my buddy about it. He said he has heard of it happening. He said that he has used a full dose of melafix and pimafix on his ram tanks with no problems. He thinks it may be just a false rumor, but dont take his word for it.

Cichlid-dude said:
Asked my buddy about it. He said he has heard of it happening. He said that he has used a full dose of melafix and pimafix on his ram tanks with no problems. He thinks it may be just a false rumor, but dont take his word for it.

Thanks for asking him I appreciate it. I think after talking to the people involved one thing they all have in common is feeding the rams twice a day every day foods high in protein. I'm starting to wonder if that's causing the bloat. I only feed my gb rams twice a day every other day plus I use alot of low protein foods and veggies along with live white worms gut loaded with spirulina flake. I'm thinking the melafix just may be a coincidence. Hmm I wonder?

Back
Top Bottom