SA community Cichlid Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dallascowboys16

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, Im calling all of you SA/CA cichlid experts out there for help stocking my 125 SA amazon biotope tank planned to be started this winter. The stocking plan includes:

5 Angels
16 Cardinal tetras
16 Glow-light tetras
10 Black neons
3 BNPs
5 platys
SA cichlid pair/group

So far I've been looking into Keyhole Cichlids and Rainbow Cichlids as good options as I want something a little out of the ordinary. Any advice on these two species like wether to keep them in groups or pairs? Any suggestions on good peaceful SA cichlids to keep in a high-tech planted community tank other than the ones Ive listed? thanks of reading. :thanks:

The angels may eat the cardinals once they reach full size.

Rainbow cichlids are CA cichlids.

Keyholes are extremely peaceful fish, great for a community. A. metae(Yellow acara) might be interesting.

That being said, I would probably go with a small group of Biotodoma cupido.

Ok, Thanks. I know about the angels as I already own smaller amounts of all of the the fish listed in my 55 gallon. Ill look into your recommendations. :)

The angels may eat the cardinals once they reach full size.

Rainbow cichlids are CA cichlids.

Keyholes are extremely peaceful fish, great for a community. A. metae(Yellow acara) might be interesting.

That being said, I would probably go with a small group of Biotodoma cupido.

Also I've been looking at info on Biotodoma cupid online and I haven't been able to tell if their safe with plants. any idea on that? I think Im leaning towards either a group of 3 keyhole cichlids or a couple Yellow Acara.

Most cichlids will eat live plants IME, though java fern may be a fair bet.

The only cichlids that are going to eat plants are your herbivores and detritivores. Even then Detritivores only eat the dead plants.

BTW OP Cupid cichlids are a generalized carnivore that eats bugs and crustaceans so they should be fine with plants. If you're going to be having bottom dwelling cichlids make sure there is a nice open patch of sand for them to root around and spawn in. Otherwise all your plants will be dug up.

Also FWIW that won't be a biotope tank it will be an "Amazon Inspired" community tank. However sounds like a fun project and I will follow along.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The only cichlids that are going to eat plants are your herbivores and detritivores. Even then Detritivores only eat the dead plants.

BTW OP Cupid cichlids are a generalized carnivore that eats bugs and crustaceans so they should be fine with plants. If you're going to be having bottom dwelling cichlids make sure there is a nice open patch of sand for them to root around and spawn in. Otherwise all your plants will be dug up.

Also FWIW that won't be a biotope tank it will be an "Amazon Inspired" community tank. However sounds like a fun project and I will follow along.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the info, yeah, I knew it was going to be tough to get all of the fish from the same locality but I just wanted to get all of them from the same continent. Thanks for the awesome info. I plan on switching to a dieted substrate toped with 3 inches of sand. Im looking for a sand that isn't white but natural and brown looking. Any recommendations on that?

If I go with the keyholes it will be an all Orinco river basin tank besides the platys. Thanks for the help. Illl post what I decide on. So they're safe with plants but they'll dig trenches in the sand is what you saying, right? :)

I'd definitely have a backup plan if plants don't work out for you... i tried a few java fern (supposedly a plant that fish will leave alone) tied to small rocks with my jaguar cichlid (carnivore) in a 125g and he tore them all up and was dragging them all over the tank just for fun. Needless to say, my dreams of a planted tank died and now i just go with rocks and driftwood. Carnivore, omnivore, herbivore, doesn't matter... if you have a particular cichlid that doesn't like plants, or other decorations for that matter, they'll let you know. May not eat them, but may not accept them either. Just a heads up if you end up going with any cichlids that will eventually have some size to them... hopefully you'll have better luck than me though.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So they're safe with plants but they'll dig trenches in the sand is what you saying, right? :)
B. cupido will root around in the sand which would tear up plants like grasses pretty easily. Common behavior in many of the SA cichlids. I have never seen C. maronii(keyholes) do this but they may.

I'd definitely have a backup plan if plants don't work out for you... i tried a few java fern (supposedly a plant that fish will leave alone) tied to small rocks with my jaguar cichlid (carnivore) in a 125g and he tore them all up and was dragging them all over the tank just for fun.
Most of the larger CA/SA cichlids can be a little rough on plants/decorations. I have not seen this behavior in the small-midsize peaceful SA cichlids.

ok, looks like yellow acara, or keyhole cichlids will be my best bet as plants are a must. I don't know if I want to risk spending a good amount of money on a group of fish and just having to give them to my LFS. Keyhole cichlids are safe in planted tanks 100% of the time I've read. Yellow acara are relatively safe but the cupid cichlids would be risky. Thanks! :)

Keyhole cichlids are about as peaceful and easy going as cichids get. Also widely available.

Back
Top Bottom