Sandstone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I found some sandstone nearby and I was wondering, could I use it in my African cichlid tank? Or would it affect the water chemistry too much (I wouldn't think so since my pH is only like 7.6 lol). I just wanted to make sure before I added it. Thanks.

I'm not a hundred percent but I've read that it might affect your ph, but certainly not enough to adversely effect the params. I don't think id be a huge problem but throw it in a bucket and test it.

Thanks, good idea. I dechlorinated the water, since it smalls like my local water supply added a little too much chlorine to this batch haha.

Haha oh well it'll all wash out, you must have one heck of a rock supply by you. Start selling it on ebay. Haha wish I was close so I could tap into that source like mfd haha

haha, guess what I also find in the woods. Some PVC :D lol. and I got a whole backpack of rocks, maybe 25-50 pounds, for my tank so hopefully I have enough to provide places for the acei. The only thing I don't like about the location of the rocks is I have to walk up a 300 foot, very steep hill and cross a barbed wire fence lol. It would take a heck of a lot of money to ship it, I'm not sure anyone would wanna buy it haha.

For the record, before the sandstone my pH is below 7.4 (I lost the card to my regular pH hehe :oops: so I can't really find out specifically).

Dude, check out ebay there's a guy who does it for pretty cheap and shipping isn't bad with the flat rate boxes...just sayin you could make some cash on the side atleat enough to supplant food costs.

You know what you should build a sled and pully system. Attach it to trees, put the rocks on at the bottom walk rock free to the top and pull that bad boy outta there. Haha

Competition already and I haven't even started lol. That idea would be great, if I had a sled and some pullies. I'll see about it, but I'm not sure if the parental units will allow me a paypal lol, and I don't wanna remove all the rock, because then the all the little salamander tadpoles (yes they're salamanders, I raised them last year) and the crawdads, etc. won't have a place to hide.

I'll check again at 5, but right now, the pH is still at 7.4 or below. At 5 o clock I'll test high pH again. Then I'll test a sample of dechlored tap with the reg ph and the bucket water with the reg pH and compare the colors since I don't have the chart.

I've got sandstone in my tank... if you have alot of flow on it, eventually (and this would literally take years) it might start to weather down, but other than that, i've had no adverse effects.... Btw, im going to eventually make it over to your house... eventually. I had some sandstone given to me compliments of craigslist ;)

maybe weekend after this next... the 17th i believe? Ill be heading over that way by myself, ill let you know ahead of time though

That's what you always say. Hopefully this time you'll follow through with your plans haha. If you don I'm plannin on doing a rescape soon so... Haha jk. I got me some rocks today for that :razz:

Back
Top Bottom