Setting up my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acejock999

Aquarium Advice Regular
As I mentioned before, I got a used 180 gal tank with predrilled holes. I have decided I am gong to seal all holes using bulkhead and ball valves.
I further decided I am not going to have a sump. I am going to buy a fluval fx6. My plan is to run the fluval on my existing 90 gal for about a week. Then swap it over to the new set up and run it about a week. Then if the parameters are right do a massive dump of fish into the new tank (I have 25 assorted haps and peacocks all male mostly 3-4 inches).

I plan on going without a sump at this time and letting the fx6 handle all my filtration needs.

Does this plan sound logical? I would appreciate any replies.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It sounds like it would work but me personally I would keep the swamp filter in my opinion they work better you could add both the canister and the swamp

If you saying the flavul will get cycled I. The 90g a week before it may work I would still add bacteria to your 180g to help. in my opinion that sounds like it should work overall

I always recommend a HOB to people. You could go with the fx6 and maybe 1 or 2 Aquaclear 110's? Just a consideration.

Maybe I will keep the sump afterall

So does the sump add some more beneficial filtration that I am not aware of? I mean that is highly likely as I am not aware of much. If the sump adds something that the canister doesn't I will probably just go ahead and use the sump plumbing I have in addition to the FX6 I am getting. I have the internal overflow now with the sump and I am not 100% happy with what I see in my tank. It could be that I need to break it down and clean the overflow. When I shut down the pump to do my water changes, it always starts back by kicking a lot of debris back into the tank. I mean the tank water is pretty clear, but there always seems to be something floating. I would like my water to be crystal clear which I am hoping the Fx6 will accomplish. I don't currently use carbon. I have bio balls and floss in a trickle filter.

My FX6 arrives on Monday and I saw a couple videos which lead me to believe the installation should be a breeze.

Including couple pictures of my tank.DSC03676.jpg

DSC03670.jpg

Back when I had a 150g oscar tank I found I needed both the sump and the canister it's just more flow and bacteria to take car of the huge bio load cichlids add

Sounds like good advice, especially since I have the plumbing and even the sump tank. May as well make use of it.

Thanks for al he input. I will post pictures of the new tank when I get it together.

Got my fx6 today and added to my old setup. Now my 90 had the fx6 and a sump. Geesh the tank was looking clearer in 20 minutes. Fx6 is silent. Surprisingly so.

I'm assuming that since I have the sump going I have no problem cuz all the good bacteria and did is still around.

I added charcoal and ammonia bags to the fx6.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My fx6 is leaking. Keeps draining the sump. Toying with turning it off until I can resolve the leak. Water us so nice and clear but I think fish need the properties of the sump more.

Ok, got water in the new tank. Looks like a doggone toxic plant. I wonder if the sand will ever go away. I know it will, I'm just impatient. So I decided to go with the canister FX6 as well as the sump. I have some leakage from some gaskets which is worrisome but hopefully I can get that all figured out. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391726467.603741.jpg

That is a picture of my toxic wasteland

I'm also including a site picture of my current tank I love itImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391726505.002236.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391726516.801380.jpg

Like with any other water leak you got to fix it because it will only get worse.

And as far as the sand goes it took mine 5 days to settle down when I switched to sand

Agreed. I'm hoping it is just a matter of tightening. I bought some silicone jic.

Back
Top Bottom