Setting up new 55 g Mburu Tank - Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesrm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am setting up a new 55 gal tank to house Mburu and africans. Here is my setup:

55gal (about 5 feet long, 3 foot tall and 2 foot wide)
Rena XP3 with inline heater set with the normal prefilters, bio stars, and filter floss.
About 3 inches of black small gravel for them to dig around in.

I set the tank up last night and allowed the water to get up to temp. I have it set at 82 degrees. This morning I dosed ammonia to about 2ppm and added Bio-Spira. I intend to continue dosing ammonia as needed and hope that the bio-spira will get the cycle completed.

I will add the ciclid natural environment additive and ph increaser to get the ph to around 8.4. I am also building some rock structures for their habitat and will also help maintain the PH.

This tank does not have a hood. Are they known for jumping?

Is there anything big I am missing, or am I ok to stock when the tank is cycled? I really liked Maxwell's tank, and will probably stock very simular to his work.

Thanks!

Do you mean Mbuna? If so, you'll need lots of rock, since they are rock dwellers. Are you sure your tank is a 55g? It sounds bigger than that. :) Standard 55g tanks are 4 foot long, 20 inches tall, and 13 inches wide. I'm assuming you are estimating though. It is ok to start stocking when you are cycled. I've never thought of using ammonia with bio-spira. Most people add fish with the Bio-spira, but I guess it would work either way...as long as there is an ammonia source. Once ammonia and nitrItes are 0 and you have nitrAtes, you can begin stocking.

Have you thought about what all Mbuna you want? Some are more aggressive than others, so you always have to take that into consideration. Maxwell has a good stock though. Are there any Mbuna that you would really like to include?

I planned my Malawi tank (that has mostly Mbuna) for a couple months before I finally decided on a stocking list. ;) I'd definitely give it some thought while the tank is cycling.

I see you've already set up the tank, but you could have used a buffering substrate to increase the hardness and pH. Also, since you have a cannister filter, you could get some crushed coral and put it in media bags and stick them in your filter. Thats what I do.

What is you tap pH? You may not have to increase it much at all. I personally don't like using additives as they can sometimes cause pH swings. You'd have to change out the CC after a few months, but its better than adding chemicals every water change IMO. :)

Limestone is a good rock that buffers the water and raises the pH. Also, you could get some Tufa rock which I believe is a type of limestone. It was recommended to me for my tank, but I could not find it anywhere.

I decided to go with this Mbura as I really like their color. Would you have any recommendations on what order to stock them in? Also, where do you get your CC to add to your filter?

My PH is right at 7.0

You can get crushed coral at your lfs. I used to put it in our canister filters on the African Mbuna tanks but since we have moved and our pH is upwards of 8.8, no need. :)

Ditch the pH altering chemicals. They usually just end up causing pH swings. Crushed coral will do the trick and it released slowly and naturally. No need to dose at every water change.

The order of stocking depends on what you want to have.

I would use a hood. Our Africans jump quite a bit. Especially during feeding time. I went to work one morning and one of my Mbuna had jumped from the tank (lids closed, must have come out the back) and flopped across the floor.

Would you have any recommendations on what order to stock them in?
It depends on what fish you choose. I'd stock the least aggressive fish first, if at all possible.

Take a look at the profiles HERE to see what you like. Then you'll have to see what is actually available to you. Does your LFS stock alot of Africans? I'd avoid the "mixed African" tank at most LPS if you can, unless you know for sure what you are getting.

Also, check out Aquabid. There are alot of sellers on there that sell good quality Africans (including Mbuna). ;) Thats where I got 3 out of the 4 groups I have in my Malawi tank.

I found my crushed coral at my LPS. The kind I have is Florida Crushed Coral. It comes in like a 15-20lb bag and was about $20, maybe a little less. But you only need a few handfuls for the filter...so it lasts awhile. Also, you can get any type of media bag. I used some that I got for my Aquaclear filters. Your LFS should have them too...just check in the filter media section.

Thanks! I stopped by to get some CC and bought the Florida variety and added it to my filter in bags. I will do some reasearch on the stocking, I have some time to kill while getting the tank cycled properly.

How often do you change your CC out? Glad to hear it will do fine without chems, I really didnt want to mess with that.

Would you still use the "Liquid Cichlid Lake Salt" , it is made by Seachem and is said to Replicate the Natural Environment of African Cichlids.

I think I changed out my cc around 6 months. Just test your pH periodically (maybe once every two weeks or so) and if you notice a drop, change it out.

And no, I wouldn't use the extra product. I don't believe in adding unnecessary products. Some people would just for peace of mind, but mine are in good ol regular dechlorinated tap water. They are breeding like rabbits and vibrant with coloration.

Thanks. A few hours after adding my rocks and the CC to the canister, PH is 8.0 on the nose. Kinda surprised I am not seeing nitrites yet, added ammonia to 2ppm and the Bio-Spira. Might turn the temp up a bit to help out.

What Ph is your water at the tap? Ours is in the high 7 range, and without any additives the Africans are doing great, with just dechlor like FishyFanatic says they are on their ump-teenth spawn... Their babies' babies have had babies... You don't really have to break your piggy bank on these guys, if I had to guess I would say they were probably not wild caught and are used to water similar to yours already. But don't let me talk you out of spending your money :)

Haha sounds great. Looking foward to finishing my cycle :)

Back
Top Bottom