sexing cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blur34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if there is any way to tell the gender of the cichilids in my tank. One has been quite territorial of a certain cave-like area in the bottom of the tank and has cleared all of the gravel out of that area. I was wondering if this is something normal or if this is something that I need to keep a close eye on. It has never done anything like this before. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What sort of cichlids are they?

A general (very general) way is to look at the dorsal fin. A nice pointed fin is a male, and a rounded one a female.

You can "vent" them, but it takes a keen eye to tell the sexes apart (not to mention holding them properly). The doral and tail fins generally will be longer and pointier on the males. This only works if the fish are sexually mature and the finnage is in good condition. However, subdominant males often look like females.

The digging and rearranging is a good thing. Cichlids will do that when they are happy. :D You can also tell the difference when they get older. Most but not all Cichlids coloration will be different between the sexes. That is if we are talking about Africans.

What is the approximate age of the cichlids and what type are they. You definitely need to tell us that. Menagerie is right in what she says. Also, generally the most aggressive and dominant fish in the tank is going to be a dominant male. Also, generally females are smaller in size. These aren't definite "signs" of the sex but are usually correct.

With certain of the Africans you'll get distinct spots on the anal fin in males. It's not surefire (some females get them, and some males don't) but often it's helpful.

It would help to know what species of cichlids your trying to sex.. some are very difficult if not near impossible wile others might not be..

Back
Top Bottom