Sexing Keyholes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keyhole Love

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just entered back into the hobby after some time. I was lucky enough to have a breeding pair of keyholes when I was about 9. I am now 22 and have a fish loving girlfriend! - Anyhow, it there anyway to sex them at such a small size of 1" ? I just purchased a pair from a great fish only store in my area ( Aquarium Authority ) they are living happily with my 2 baby Panda corys and everyone is eating like it their last meal! Thank you Daniel

Hrmm. Dunno, but I'll be picking up my first bunch of keyholes today; I'll be following your post with interest.

Not sure about the keyholes, but I got something to add. You should really have a minimum of three cories to a group, they are more active and daring when in larger groups and it keeps them happy. So if possible, pick up one or two more pandas. HTH :p

Keyhole Cichlids, Aequidens (Cleithacara) maronii, reach a maximum size of about 4 inches so a 1 inch fish is already 1/4 grown. That being said....Keyhole Cichlids are notoriously difficult to 'sex' because both male and female develop long dorsal and anal fins. The male's dorsal MAY be a little longer relative to its body than the female's but in my experience the only way to really tell is to wait until they get to breeding size. It is often best to keep them in a small group of 5 or so and hope that a couple will pair off.

Great fish!! I wish I had a place to set some up!

[center:3dce9088fc]:smilecolros: Welcome to AA!!! :smilecolros:[/center:3dce9088fc]
It is often best to keep them in a small group of 5 or so and hope that a couple will pair off.
I will agree with that and add that I have heard it is best to buy 6 and hope for a pair!
How large is your tank? Do you have room for more? I also agree with Endgame that the more cories--the better! I currently have 8 in my 29 gal and when I get my 50 this week, there will more cories soon!!!

Well back to the LFS today, and picked up a Julii Cory. Very cute! Hopefully will join in antics with the Panda's. Thanks for the input!!

Back
Top Bottom