Shell Dweller Cichlids Breeding Colony

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,
I have been absent from this site for a while and decided i would come back with a BANG! Today i just bought my first colony of cichlids and no prizes for guessing what they are. Yes it is the Shell Dwellers, now i forked out $75 for them for a group of 5 and htye are settling in very well and enjoying their new home. Also the reason i spent so much on them is because they are a rare speciea in Australia. So i plan to breed them, they are in a 25 gal tank for 5. Now one is around 3cm 2 are 2cm and 1 is 1.5cm and 1 is 1cm. I was just wondering how long they will take to breed. I have succesfully bred Kribensis and was looking for something a little for worthwhile and something i was going to get more money for.
So i was wondering what they eat because i have everything like blood worms and mosquito larvea.
Also if i were to add another shell dweller is it certain he would be accepted by the dominant male? Also i have 2 BIG sponge filters running for them is this enough, i have filter that i could put in there if they are needed. And could i add any more fish to the colony since there are only 5 in a 25 gal?
So thanks all!

I was recommended against putting two different shellies in the same tank when I was making my stocking plan. I don't know if a 25 would be large enough support any other type of lake tang. cichlids. The only one that may work is a smaller species of Cyprichromis.

If it's a longer tank, like a 20 long is, you might be ok with another colony, but you'd need to break up the tank with plants or rocks to separate them. If it's not a long tank, then forget it. You can easily keep considerably more than 5 though. I had 40 multies in my 10g at one point, though they took care of the population finally and kept it at about 20.

That size tank is too small for more than one species of substrate spawner. Cyprichromis are open water fish, and even the smallest species need at least a 75 gallon tank.
Which species are they? There are only 2 actual colony fish, multifasciatus and similis. Those will protect their fry until they mature enough to breed; the other species are more likely to eat fry, or at best lose interest soon after they're free-swimming. Even the females have their own pecking order.

toddnbecka said:
That size tank is too small for more than one species of substrate spawner. Cyprichromis are open water fish, and even the smallest species need at least a 75 gallon tank.

I went and looked it up they need a 3' tank at minimum with out allot of rocks and need to be in groups of atleast 7. I was actually recommended Cyps. In my 40 breeder to go with shellies by members of this forum as well as chiclid-forum.com.

I'm planning to keep multis and brevis together in my super long flatback hex tank.

I've got the multis in a 15g and have had them for 5-6 months or so, they are all adult size, I've never seen any fry, so I don't know if they are eating them or what. I'm going to put them on a more frequent feeding schedule to see if it helps.

I never kept shellies for very long but it sounds like a dominance issue between males, are there other males?

Last edited:
No they are all down the bottom of the tank swimming happily. They never hurt eachother like seriously nip them. Hukit they told me the biggest was the male and the rest female

With any fish when it comes to aggression as long as there is no damage, the fish is allowed to eat, and is not being banished to a corner in hiding then let its ok to let them work it out.

Back
Top Bottom