Singles vs pairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do cichlids mind being the only one of their species in a community tank? That is, do they do better in a pair, either mating pair or same gender? Or maybe this question is species-specific. I'm thinking of gobies, altos compres., julies, paracyps, or xenotilapia.

Many cichlids prefer being in groups at a young age but as they mature they normally become solitary or a pair this is true with jaguars or Oscar cichlids

You can't really make such a broad generalization over A family of fish as large as cichlidae. There are some species that are completely solitary, some that live in pairs, and some that live in groups.

For example, a. compressiceps is fairly solitary. Paracyprichromis live in massive schools. Many shell dwellers live in colonies. Julie's do well in mated pairs. It all depends on the particular species at hand.

Jewel gobies do best single or I'm a pair, as if I remember correctly, males will fight over territory. Xenotiliapia naturally live in large groups, much like cyps

I didn't realize that paracyps, like cyps, live in large groups, being more clung to rocky areas than open space swimmers. Is there a suggested minimum for paracyps or xenotilapia?

From what I'm reading, paracyps like 8+ and I'm not sure about xenotilapia, but I'd guess 6? I'm not sure. I don't have much experience with all those species, other than what I've learned from my LFS owner who breeds paracyprichromis nigripinnis. An easy way of finding it out is just google the species you want, and read through a few articles to get an understanding of the fish. Many tanganyikans have a lot of info out there on the web, although obviously there are some less commonly kept. Hope I helped a little bit even :)

Back
Top Bottom