Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2004, 05:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Something's wrong with my blue ram... Edit: It died :(

Since yesterday, he's been hanging around the top of the tank with his body at a 45º angle with his head above the rest of his body. He's breathing noticeably faster than the rest of the fish. I did a water change yesterday all parameters are normal. All my other fish are just fine too. Can anyone help me out? Is he just freaked out from the gravel vacuum and water change I did yesterday or is something else wrong?

30 gallon tall Eclipse II: 4 Praecox Rainbow Fish, 2 Australian Rainbowfish, 3 zebra snails, 2 Clown Loaches, 2 Congo Tetra, 2 Boesemani Rainbowfish, 1 Red Irian Rainbowfish, 1 Bronze Corydora, 1 Golden Panchax Killifish, 1 Aplocheilus lineolatus Killifish, 1 Common Pleco (~5 in.), 1 candystripe Pleco (~1 1/2 in.)

My online photos
illuminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd isolate him just in case. Double check your water parameters too!

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't have a QT tank, so should I put him in my 12 gallon tank which only has fish smaller than him?

Maybe he's being bullied by someone lately???

30 gallon tall Eclipse II: 4 Praecox Rainbow Fish, 2 Australian Rainbowfish, 3 zebra snails, 2 Clown Loaches, 2 Congo Tetra, 2 Boesemani Rainbowfish, 1 Red Irian Rainbowfish, 1 Bronze Corydora, 1 Golden Panchax Killifish, 1 Aplocheilus lineolatus Killifish, 1 Common Pleco (~5 in.), 1 candystripe Pleco (~1 1/2 in.)

My online photos
Old 02-08-2004, 09:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I worry that it may be disease; is why I suggest isolate him. Moving him to a tank with other fish may wind up infecting them as well. It could be bullying (have you noticed any?) but if he is still doing the heavy breathing and the funny position I kinda doubt it.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

He' still having the hard breathing, but now he just hangs around the bottom of the tank. I'll get a small QT tank up and running tomorrow. I have absolutely no idea what kind of illness he may have. There are no abnormal marks or changes on his body...

My online photos
Old 02-09-2004, 11:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

okay, well I set up a QT tank, but later that afternoon it died. That ram was my favorite fish. Does anyone have that link to the site with a comprehensive list of FW fish diseases? I really want to look into this.

Two things I noticed. There were very small red spots on the side of the ram, and it started turning black just before it died...

My online photos

Tags
blue ram, die, died, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com