South american cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jewel_cichlid03

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would like to get suggestions on getting a pair of south american cichlids for my tropical community tank but need opinions on which species to get i would really like a species other then bolivians or gbr's i want something a lil more off the wall an less common.... I have been looking at kribensis but im not sure yet if thats the right species for my tank

Here are some of my favorites:

Apistogramma cacatuoides
Apistogramma agassizii
Apistogramma borellii

Jewel_cichlid03 said:
Would like to get suggestions on getting a pair of south american cichlids for my tropical community tank but need opinions on which species to get i would really like a species other then bolivians or gbr's i want something a lil more off the wall an less common.... I have been looking at kribensis but im not sure yet if thats the right species for my tank

I'd recommend keyholes.

Just do you are aware, kribensis are not south american, they are African riverine cichlids.

There's dozens (well hundreds given how many apisto species there are) of species that I could recommend, it all just depends on the tank size, inhabitants, tank decor, your budget, and availability.

With that said, my go to is always keyholes, I have 8 of them for a reason

Ive kinda narrowed it down between keyholes and bolivians but i cant decide which one i want but before i pick between them to i just wanna see if anyone has anymore suggestions on a pair of cichlids i could get for my community tank

I have Bolivian rams, gold rams, and red rams, and the blue rams. Of all of them the Bolivian rams are the dullest, not very pretty color wise. I watched my male ram go from his normal blue color to an almost yellow/black when I introduced females to the tank. They are very colorful and rambunctious little fish. Really cool fish to own! You can see a before and after picture of my blue male in my photo album. It was amazing to watch him change colors and the females darkened up to when they paired up. Pretty neat

I went with bolivian rams .. But now im stuck between a festivum or angel fish for the center piece of my tank

I would also go with a festivum because they stay smaller, so for a 30 gallon you could even get two.

I would also go with a festivum because they stay smaller, so for a 30 gallon you could even get two.

They actually can get around 6-8", two will be too many. I took this pic of a festivum that is in a fish store near me called Aquarium Adventure. I've never seen them get this BIG, but I've had them around 5-6" range.

image-3108351290.jpg

Wow, I haven't even seen them get much past 4". A lot of websites and profiles say fish can grow this or that big, but usually they stay smaller.

I own (or have owned) 2 festivum and 4 angels and I much prefer angels. Festivums can be quite feisty, mine was one of the bosses of my tank and he was easily 4", part of the reason I just traded him into my LFS. I do have 2" festivum n my 75 gallon and will probably remove him sooner that later. I have three black angels in that tank and I personally like angels more

Back
Top Bottom