South american cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reclassified again?! Good lord, apparently I need to spend more time on fishbase.

Lol yeah, it was several months ago, but is in fact now a part of archocentrus, although most still refer to it as a herotilapia species. Glad they finally did this as "tilapia" generally refers to African species, so I never understood why a Central American species was in the genus herotilapia lol

Lol yeah, it was several months ago, but is in fact now a part of archocentrus, although most still refer to it as a herotilapia species. Glad they finally did this as "tilapia" generally refers to African species, so I never understood why a Central American species was in the genus herotilapia lol

I always thought that was odd as well.

I'm sure it'll change again soon enough lol all the cryptoheros, archocentrus, and amatitlania species seem to be turbulent when it comes to naming

Unless a rogue fish, Bolivians tend to be not that aggressive and all the fighting usually looks worse than it is, unless breeding when it can look pretty nasty but have never actually seen damage to either fish - as you go up the scale to larger cichlids it will look even worse even though damage to fish is very little to moderate, like Geo,s. Rainbows can be really nasty when breeding, Blue Acara's are far from peaceful even Keyholes can have there moments, that's just cichlids doing what they do.

Unless a rogue fish, Bolivians tend to be not that aggressive and all the fighting usually looks worse than it is, unless breeding when it can look pretty nasty but have never actually seen damage to either fish - as you go up the scale to larger cichlids it will look even worse even though damage to fish is very little to moderate, like Geo,s. Rainbows can be really nasty when breeding, Blue Acara's are far from peaceful even Keyholes can have there moments, that's just cichlids doing what they do.

I have never seen a keyhole act aggressive in any way and I have 8 of them at varying stages haha

Blue acaras, I'll 100% agree, my female is majorly bossy

Rainbows definitely can have their moments

I've never had problems with my geophagus sp. pindare, but they're still young. I have had problems with my gymnogeophagus balzanii however

I'm sure it'll change again soon enough lol all the cryptoheros, archocentrus, and amatitlania species seem to be turbulent when it comes to naming

Sp. honduran is being discussed to reclassify from Cryptoheros to Amatitlania, Mogurako is correct it's tough to keep up sometimes.

Lol we were talking about rainbows though HUKIT? Haha and it would make more sense to have the red points in amatitlania rather than cryptoheros, seeing how close they are to nigrofasciatus

Well what i feared would happen happened... One of the rams just killed my angelfish.. I came home from work and there he was layin on the bottom of the tank with a huge hunk of his tail and bottom fin gone! :(

Back
Top Bottom