split from Welcome to the Cichlid Forum sticky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrDaytona

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Glad to see a section for the Cichlid people.

My experience has been that they prefer a very high Ph and at times can be very territorial. My tank is of the larger variety (400 gallon) so I am able to have a variety of Cichlid types.
The last time I changed 1/8 of the tank due to high nitrate levels I lost many of the larger species. I must now resort to storing water in a 55 gallon drum outside to replace the water I take out the next time.
Many books will recommend replacing 1/2 the tank with clean water but I find that impractible as that would mean having 4 55 gallon drums holding replacement water.
I did find that once the Convict Cichlids start breeding they don't stop! I now have 35 competing for space with the remaining fish.
Hoping to hear more about other tanks...

I've heard that convicts make great parents, but 35!! Wow, I have a bunch of hungry fish in my tank and fry don't last too long.

Right now I have a mixture of South American Cichlids, but through a series of bad-luck purchases I have ended up with all males of each species.

I'm glad that there is a new sub-forum. Congrats on making it!

MrDaytona said:
My experience has been that they prefer a very high Ph and at times can be very territorial.
Due to the large number of cichlid species and range in which they can be found, cichlids can go from low pH to high pH, docile to outright mean, tolerant of missing a PWC to needing PWC almost daily, and breeding like rabbits to having a successful spawn only during a blue moon.

For everyone using the Cichlid Discussion Subforum please do not use blanket statements for all cichlids, as this will become confusing.

Some of my favorite sites for information on cichlids (and you need to research these wonderful fish to give them good homes!):
The Cichlid Recipe
Malawi Cichlids
Cichlid profiles listed on Mongabay Not only is there great information on species and regions; you can also find information on how to make biotope aquaria.
The Cichlid Room Companion

There are tons of other sites, but these are the ones that have been most helpful to me along with advice from experienced cichlid owners here at AA.

Great idea...I hope this works as well as the Aquascaping subforum has.

one little detail....will someone with administrative powers please correct the typo in the subforum name? It's one of my pet peeves....sorry.....but I keep staring at the "Cichild Discussion" and it's driving me nuts!

wow what a great idea. great links menageri. i am glad this was started becasue i would have loved to know what i was doing when i started lol. i will be going on this forum alot.

Thank you for this forum because I stopped coming to this site in search of more Cichlid information.

Excellent idea !!!!

This site has made for a lot of very happy cichlids thanks to everyone's contributions here, thanks ya'll! I work for Petco and the information I get from you guys just gets passed right along to my customers, so everything counts! Keep up the good work.
LS

Back
Top Bottom