Starting tank need info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmats

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have always had freshwater aggressive fish. (Large Oscar, Arowana, jack Dempsey etc.) however, I recently just decided to start a cichlid tank. In my old tanks, I would always use an Algea eater and some snails to take care of natural general maintenance. I was wondering if there are any fish, or maybe the same fish, that I can use in water with high pH to serve the same purpose. Before I start this aquarium I would like to get as much information as possible on maintaining healthy water to avoid killing fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In an african cichlid tank I usually refrain from putting in bottom feeders as they can be unpredictable (the cichlids). My best tip would just be to gravel vac frequently and do lots of water changes.

I am aware of the aragonite thank you. Would a pleco survive in hard water? If I get a fairly large pleco he will be fine with dominant fish.

Also, another question: I have been doing a lot of reading on the cichlids and from what I am understanding is you can only have certain types of cichlids mixed with the same type. For example, you can only mix a Malawi mbuna with other mbunas and can't mix a mbuna with Malawi peacock or tropheus cichlids. Is this correct or am I completely lost with trying to get my tank started?

A Catfish that can live with most Africans is Synodontis eupterus aka Featherfin Squeaker. It will defend itself as long as it's not a tiny baby with adult African Cichlids.

And FYI it was a little confusing to say you were starting a "Cichlid" tank.

Oscars and JDs are Cichlids as well. Just from So America.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I didn't realize that until doing more research. Thank you for letting me know about the catfish though, that will be great.

You can mix Mbuna's with Haps and Peacocks. You just have to research their temperaments. My 125 gallon tank has a few of each. I've had to rehome a few fish because they were too aggressive. It's trial and error sometimes.

I went to my LFS and saw a blood parrot and flametail (both adults) in the same tank. They were swimming side by side, apparently owner had his tank break so had the store holding his fish till he could set up a new one. The 2 fish were best of buds. Was really weird to watch.

Back
Top Bottom