Starting to plan a S.A. Cichlids tank - need stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makoa59

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 90 gal. tank that has served as a decent mixed-community tank (no specific biotope--my wife just wanted "pretty fish"). I suffered a hand injury in April that resulted in my inability to service the tank and filter, due to risk of infection, for about 7 months. Needless to say, ich, bloat, and fin/scale rot reared their ugly heads. After countless water changes and treatments (not to mention filter servicing) water parameters are finally becoming healthy again.

The majority of my population has died and I am left with 2 albino bristle nose plecos (one about 8" the other about 4"), 4 Buenos Ares tetras, 1 Congo tetra (that looks like it's reaching its end soon--it's about 7 years old), 1 Clown Loach, and 3 Bosemani Rainbows (still suffering from fin/scale rot).

Before I got hurt, my LFS had some Geophagus Surinamensis (Surinam Eartheaters), which the sales associate said were peaceful and would be fine in my community tank. They were until I got hurt. But ever since then, I got the itch for bigger fish.

I know the loach and rainbows aren't compatible and will be removed. The tetras, I think would be good target fish, as they are good size, fast, and hearty. Hard scape is small/med gravel substrate with a good amount of driftwood and rocks. Only plants are 2 small Java ferns that are in the driftwoodd towards the top, and a growth of algae that accumulated atop my large wood piece and became a lush lawn... I actually like it... It naturally formed what I've tried to accomplish with Java moss in every tank, without clogging anything mechanical.

I don't care about breeding and as most research I've seen says that aggression occurs most during breeding, I would be fine with just one fish per species.

I want to get a Geophagus Surinamensis again, I like Green Terrors, Red Terrors, Convicts, and Blue Acaras.

Could I do 1 of each of those species with the tetras and plecos?

I probably won't be doing any stocking until the summer (also depends on LFS stock).

ThanksImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422027115.469597.jpg

I have a 90 gal. tank that has served as a decent mixed-community tank (no specific biotope--my wife just wanted "pretty fish"). I suffered a hand injury in April that resulted in my inability to service the tank and filter, due to risk of infection, for about 7 months. Needless to say, ich, bloat, and fin/scale rot reared their ugly heads. After countless water changes and treatments (not to mention filter servicing) water parameters are finally becoming healthy again.

The majority of my population has died and I am left with 2 albino bristle nose plecos (one about 8" the other about 4"), 4 Buenos Ares tetras, 1 Congo tetra (that looks like it's reaching its end soon--it's about 7 years old), 1 Clown Loach, and 3 Bosemani Rainbows (still suffering from fin/scale rot).

Before I got hurt, my LFS had some Geophagus Surinamensis (Surinam Eartheaters), which the sales associate said were peaceful and would be fine in my community tank. They were until I got hurt. But ever since then, I got the itch for bigger fish.

I know the loach and rainbows aren't compatible and will be removed. The tetras, I think would be good target fish, as they are good size, fast, and hearty. Hard scape is small/med gravel substrate with a good amount of driftwood and rocks. Only plants are 2 small Java ferns that are in the driftwoodd towards the top, and a growth of algae that accumulated atop my large wood piece and became a lush lawn... I actually like it... It naturally formed what I've tried to accomplish with Java moss in every tank, without clogging anything mechanical.

I don't care about breeding and as most research I've seen says that aggression occurs most during breeding, I would be fine with just one fish per species.

I want to get a Geophagus Surinamensis again, I like Green Terrors, Red Terrors, Convicts, and Blue Acaras.

Could I do 1 of each of those species with the tetras and plecos?

I probably won't be doing any stocking until the summer (also depends on LFS stock).

ThanksView attachment 262050

There are lots of smarter people on here but I will throw out my 2 cents. The Geo's are cool fish, they are a good idea, I think you can leave the clown loach in there, even add a couple more of them (they are a schooling fish). I like green terrors and the ones I have had got along with everything. I would stay away from convicts- at least not a breeding pair as I think they are a pain

My other loaches died and I am not going to replace them. I would rather get cichlids.

Again, I don't plan on breeding. So, unless these species are required to be in pairs, I am not going to get a pair. That being said, if not convicts, maybe a pearl, Severum, or Keyhole.

I'm just curious. The book I have shows that they all have similar water parameters. I've never had aggressive or territorial fish so I want to make sure that, given enough hiding places, they don't kill one another.

No to the geophagus. For one, they aren't geophagus surinamensis. true Surinamensis are from French Guyana, which doesn't export fish. They are very rare in the hobby. Instead, the species labeled as Surinamensis are species like abalios, altifrons, dicrozoster, etc.

Second, geos require groups typically when young. I usually recommend at least 4 if not more.

Third, Surinamensis-type geophagus (those species similar to true Surinamensis and erroneously sold as Surinamensis) get quite large. I've seen males hitting the 10" mark. A 70 gallon isn't enough to support a group of those.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

As for the other species:
Green terror (andinoacara rivulatus/ sp gold saum) will kill/eat many small community fish
Red terror (excichlasoma festae) are nasty. One of the most aggressive cichlid species. Enough said.
Convict (amatitlania nigrofasciata) these will work, but not in a breeding pair, they're nasty when they spawn. Also, these are Central American, not South American.
Blue acara (aequidens pulcher) this species may work. They fit a large spectrum in terms of temperament. I've seen calm ones, I've seen nasty ones. Depends on the individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My tank is 90 gal, not 70 gal.

I know that they aren't true Geophagus Surinamensis, they're larvophilus; however, the majority of the trade calls them Surinamensis, which is why I did.

Sounds like you're not a fan of S.A. Cichlids.

Again not looking to breed, so I only want 1 fish from each species.

Convicts are out. According to my most recent research, they are mostly enjoyed for breeding and I'm not interested in that.

Still interested in the red terror, though. There has to be some who have had success with this fish and enjoy it... It is very popular and readily accessible at my LFS.

That being said, no fish I mentioned above is a definite, just examples of one that I like.

So, again... Looking to start a 90 gallon S.A. Cichlids tank. I would like more than one species of cichlid. What combinations are recommended? I am an experienced aquarist, I've had many community FW tanks and have even kept peaceful dwarf cichlids before (Rams, cockatoo, kribs) and even a few angels, I'm just looking for stocking advice on moving on to bigger fish.

Also, not interested in African cichlids, the water here isn't suitable to their parameters. My water is on the softer side and pH is slightly acidic to neutral, than alkaline (about 6.5-7.0).

I think you kind of have to decide on the general temperament of the fish you want. I have severums, firemouths, Red Head Tapajos Geophagus, one green terror, couple of catfish and they all get along fine and are interesting. I went with what was available locally also. There are many cool SA fish that I would not dare put in there (like a red terror)

I've done a lot more reading since posting this...
Green Terror, Aequidens rivulatus Cichlid Fish Guide
That site was very informative. I'm thinking now about definitely only doing 2 or (maybe) 3 SA Cichlids. I'm leaning towards the green terror being the centerpiece. Red Terror is probably out, as I want more than one cichlid and all the videos I just watched of them, they were cool and all, but they were nipping at plecos and everything else. I'd be open to them in the future, but they're not good with smaller, dither fish.

I'm thinking 1 green terror, one blue acara or severum, and maybe 1 pearl cichlid (Geophagus brasilensis) or the Surinamensis I mentioned above. (This, of course, is predicated on their availability at my LFS).

Further, I will introduce other dither fish, like the Buenos Aires Tetras (which are about 2 inches long and about an inch tall, so they are in no danger of predation) and that should about do it and still give me a bit of wiggle-room, concerning my filter's bio-load.

I have a red spot severum and love it. I had one before but sold it because I wanted to try a "wet pet" I missed it since the day I parted with it and had to get another and I did.

I have tried GT twice and both times have been severely let down. They are extremely slow growers so it takes years to get those beautiful specimens you see online. until then they are just blaa looking with bad attitudes. I don't think they have the personality of other SA/CA cichlids they could care less if you are there. That is just my opinion.

Red Terrors are beautiful but you could only have a pair and that is but sounds like that isn't the way you want to go.

You may not want convicts but there are other CA cichlids around the same size that are very entertaining.

Honduran Red points are my favorite. cousin to the convict not as aggressive
Rainbow Cichlids
Thoricthys species meeki, elliot, passionis
Sajica
Flier cichlids ( I am just starting to look into these they look very interesting)
a Female Nicuraguan (males get too big)

If I was to build a 90 gallon this would be my stock (similar to what I have now)

2 x Severum 1 green and 1 red spotted severum
3 x Honduran red points
4 x Rainbow Cichlids
8 -10 x Buenos Aires or Colombian blue tetra

This is mine its a 75 just slightly shorter than your 90.

1x red spotted severum
3x platinum HRP
2x rainbow
1x Female Nic x con hybrid
4x soon to be 6 sword tails
1x L200 Green Phanton Pleco

A 90 has the same foot print as a 75, a four foot tank for 10"+ fish just doesn't work out in the long run IME.

South American and Tanganyikans are my favorites. I just started a thread about a 120 gallon Rio Tapajos biotope that I'm about to begin work on.

Red terrors will NOT work with any community fish. Period.

You also named off more Central American species than South American, just an fyi...

Rivers, that's awesome! Exactly the advice I was looking for. Also, love your set up. I'm going to look into those other fish. Thanks again.

Starting to stock again. I've decided against a Green Terror. My LFS had some baby Geophagus sp. Tapajos Orange Heads and a Guianacara sp. affin. geayi (bandit cichlid) with a ton of personality. Next week he may get in some Blue Acaras and various severums. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422738644.326656.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422738720.829496.jpg

-Mak

Although you're going to want sand for both of those species, FYI

I know, I may put sand on the right side of the tank but, it isn't necessary. I've kept Geos successfully before with what I have. I may start a 2nd community tank with that seasoned substrate from this tank and pour some sand in by small PVC pipe when I do a water change.

-Mak

The Tapajos aren't going to be happy unless they are blowing sand out their gills 24/7 Mine wouldn't stop sifting no matter what.

Have you looked at anything from the gymnogeophagus genus? You would likely need to order them, but just the right size to have a nice group in a 90.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom