Stocking 55 gal w/ Peacocks & Haps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IndyJay71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.. Was hoping to get stocking advice for a regular 55 gal. I have done mbuna before with success and now want to try a peacock and haps tank. I also want to do a trio of yellow labs because I heard they're compatible. ??

Questions:

1.) How many fish could I reasonably do? I was thinking 16 - 19. (If they grow out, I'll just sell them and get smaller.)

2.) Could I get the best species list for really bright reds and blues or combos of both. I also like the blotched looking species. I guess the jacobfrei's are out because they're too aggressive? :confused:

3.) I don't plan on doing a male only.. Is that okay?

Thanks for any help.

A lot to cover there. First I think 16-19 is a little much, I would shoot for a 14-15 max fish stocking.

I do keep yellow labs with my peacocks, so far no problems.

Blue regal peacocks have nice blues.
German red peacocks have nice reds.
I like the lemon Jakes a lot too.
OB peacocks are the blotched ones.

55 is almost too small for most haps, some will say it is too small. I think a few exceptions exist.

Agreed, I'd shoot for somewhere between 12-14.
Sunshines are a good yellow, peaceful peacock, and the others that he mentioned are good. Again, I probably agree that there are a few exceptions, but not many to having haps in a 55. Also, as far as not doing an all male, I would say that you could do it, but you'd need to have more females than males in the tank, meaning you'll have a lot of brown and gray in the tank.

Really appreciate the advice guys. Yes I'll come down on the quantity to probably 13 - 14 and nix the ideas of haps. Probably just saved me a bunch of headaches. Thx again!

Cool deal, I love to see people not absolutely shun advice. With that attitude you are on your way to a nice happy healthy tank. When you get it going be sure to post a thread here on them. There isn't a lot of peacock representation here.

No, I won't shun any advice especially from veterans who have been around the hobby for awhile. Grateful to have you guys. I didn't have to visit a LFS and deal with some kid condescending to me , etc. I will definitely get some picks once everything is rolling with some those recommended peacocks. (I'm having a hard time finding German Red's online). Must be a hot fish.

Yeah for sure, thats quite nice seeing someone very cooperative lol! Yeah german reds can be rare to find, especially some high quality ones, I've been looking for a nice specimen for my tank too for awhile! Yeah definitely post a thread when you get it started, I'm looking forward to seeing the tank all stocked!

I'd say nix the "not all male" idea unless you want to go with a colony of a single species. Peacock females all look very similar and you'd be asking for some hybridizing. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thx, I had thought a few females helps to lessen the aggression but I'm learning it can make it a lot worse. I might try and breed down the road but not now. Thanks for the input.

No, I won't shun any advice especially from veterans who have been around the hobby for awhile. Grateful to have you guys. I didn't have to visit a LFS and deal with some kid condescending to me , etc. I will definitely get some picks once everything is rolling with some those recommended peacocks. (I'm having a hard time finding German Red's online). Must be a hot fish.

I have 2-3" german reds for sale if your still looking

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom