Stocking a New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathanpopp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a new 50 gallon tall tank. I have several tanks and I want to do a cichlid tank this time. What can I put in it?

If you go with normal size cichlids, you will be limited to one or two. You should probably stick with the smaller guys, like rams or apistos. That way, you can stock a few in there, along with others to round out the tank. Just my thoughts. Did you have anything particular in mind?

I have no clue. I want something that's not too aggressive, nice colors, and friendly.

Did you want African or American cichlids? Africans are meaner and you could only have one species of really mean ones and maybe two of not so mean ones but there really colorful and cool to watch. If you wanted American I would say either a trio of convicts or fire mouth cichlids with some fast hardy top dwellers and in armored catfish.

The and is supposed to be in or so you could have one species of really mean ones OR you could have two species of not so mean ones

I ended up getting just one fish tonight. I got a Red Blood Parrot. He's not showing much in color. I learned they could be one of the peaceful of the cichlids. What goes good with him?

I don't know a lot about them but I'm pretty sure there not that aggressive because there mouths don't really work so they can't eat smaller fish. I've read they do well with other semi-aggressive American cichlids so you could get some of those. Also maybe some larger schooling fish like silver dollars or great danios.

Back
Top Bottom