Suicidal peacock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
Lost a fish this morning. It was on the floor - must have jumped out the tiny opening for the filter intake at night. Why would it do that? I rarely see any peacocks near the surface on this side of the tank, let alone jumping.

Attachments

• image-717850356.jpg
    image-717850356.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 125
  • image-2485720301.jpg
    image-2485720301.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 125
Aww. Did you find him while he was still flapping or did he not make it?

Lost a fish this morning. It was on the floor - must have jumped out the tiny opening for the filter intake at night. Why would it do that? I rarely see any peacocks near the surface on this side of the tank, let alone jumping.

Poor water conditions or it got chased out by a more dominate fish.

The drama continues today with another of the 1.5" peacocks belly up in the back bottom corner of the tank - not floating. Same size as the jumper yesterday. The only signs of anything I can find on him are some damage on his mouth. Could this be from another peacock? Did something with the water cause his mouth to deteriorate like this?

I haven't seen much aggression in this tank. There is definitely a dominant peacock - getting his color already at 2.5" - and possibly another one vying for dominance, but I haven't seen them really bully anybody else or each other even.

As for water quality, I've been changing twice a week. pH is stable, tap water is consistently hard and free of chlorine. The temp rocked between 79.8 and 82.4 a few times in the first week I had the fish until I found the exact spot on my heater dial to keep it where I wanted it.

Should I be adding a dechlorinator to the water even though the test strips have always shown no chlorine?

Attachments

• image-3502260086.jpg
    image-3502260086.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 63
  • image-3761101421.jpg
    image-3761101421.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 63
Probably have an over dominant male and your just not catching the bullying.

Yes add Prime or another water condition that removes chlorine, Chloramines and heavy metals. Just because your test kit doesn't show it doesn't mean there's not small trace amounts of chlorine or other additives.

Jacked Up Mouth

That mouth looks like fighting to me! Someone is being a bully when the lights go out. Are their enough hiding places for the little guys? I have a bully too, but he is just too big to fit in the hiding rocks where the smaller ones retreat to at night.

I've just added prime too. The bottle said I could add directly to the tank - I hope that's okay.

Back
Top Bottom