Is my guppy miscarrying or giving birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melanieberes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I got a female guppy just a couple of weeks ago. I didn't think she was pregnant but this morning she was not really swimming much and there looks to be something coming out of her body near her anal fin. It's been like this for about 4 hours. I'm not sure if it's an embryo that is somehow being partially expelled or what. Any advice on what to do? I put her in an isolation tank to be on the safe side.

Attachments

• IMG_3315.jpg
    IMG_3315.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 11
The bad news is that there is nothing you can really do for her at this point other than keeping her protected from any other fish you may have in the tank. It's more likely a miscarriage as I see no fish formation within what is protruding. Sadly, pregnancy issues have become common in many store bought Guppies. The only other possibility based on your picture would be a major prolapse of the intestines. If the fish is healthy enough, the prolapse can reverse itself after whatever it's trying to pass passes. Do not feed the fish for 48 hours after whatever passes or not until the prolapse reverses.

Hope this helps (y)

Thank you

Thank you so much this is really helpful. She is isolated and I will keep her there and hope for the best!

She's getting better!

Thanks again Andy! The protrusion is gone this morning and she's showing more signs of activity. I still have her isolated and will return her to be with others tomorrow after feeding time is finished (so she'll have gone 48 hours without food).

Thanks again Andy! The protrusion is gone this morning and she's showing more signs of activity. I still have her isolated and will return her to be with others tomorrow after feeding time is finished (so she'll have gone 48 hours without food).

(y) But try feeding her first to be sure she is feeding before moving her. If she eats, give her a little time to digest then move her.

Back
Top Bottom