Surprise baby convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djhamp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my 125G tank going for a couple of months now. Some of the first fish I got were 5 little convicts. The tank is pretty well stocked now with a variety of SA fish (serverums, geos, etc). Noticed a convict digging in a corner of the tank the other day and now they have a bunch of fry! I have never had fish breed before so that's exciting - wish it was something besides convicts though.

The little guys are guarding them and they are doing fine in the corner for now but what do I do long term? I don't really need any more convicts in there. I could set up a small tank and try to move them - do you move the babies and the parents or just the fry - and how long do you wait? I don't suppose baby convicts are worth much, don't know how easy they will be to get rid of.

If you don't want them leave them be and let nature take its course (meaning some will get eaten) the rest when they get big enough take them to your LFS they may take them as a donation or you might get some store credit. But now that you have a breeding pair expect many many more of these.

Justin

If you have any LFS that isn't a chain store, they will most likely take them. My store gives a small credit per fish based on how good it is and size. Not very much though, but helps pay for food and maintenance supplies.

OK, thanks - I will just let them be for now. I have half a dozen LFS close to me so I am sure one of them will take them even if I don't get much for them. The parents look like they are doing a good job of protecting them. Its funny, they (parents) are only 1.5" or so keeping much bigger fish away - they sure didn't look big enough to breed yet.

OK, thanks - I will just let them be for now. I have half a dozen LFS close to me so I am sure one of them will take them even if I don't get much for them. The parents look like they are doing a good job of protecting them. Its funny, they (parents) are only 1.5" or so keeping much bigger fish away - they sure didn't look big enough to breed yet.

They are starting young but from what I have heard Convicts make great parents my Firemouths are the same way.

Watch out for major aggression issues when they get around max size. A breeding pair of convicts is highly aggressive and can easily kill small new world cichlids. Like firemouths,

Set up a 75 and get yourself a lungfish to eat the convict fry, or better yet just toss the adults in the 75. Convict fry are essentially worthless, and the buggers will keep spawning for quite some time once they start. Even if only a few from each spawn survive in the 125 sooner or later they'll overrun the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom