Convict fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidlover2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,
i was wondering, in the situation that the biggest male and biggest female convicts breed and lay eggs( which they did) will the fry survive in the tank with other convicts? The only fish that is bigger than them is my pleco. I ordered a breeders box that I will use next time.

There's no point using a breeding net for baby cichlids. They need to be reared up by their parents.

There isn't a big demand for convict cichlids so don't keep too many babies alive because you will end up with hundreds or even thousands and be unable to get rid of them.

Some of the babies might survive with the other fish, others will get eaten. I wouldn't worry about them getting eaten because you will struggle to find homes for the babies as it is.

I got a 3.5 gallon tank to put the gravid mom in(I know how to tell) and the dad so they can have their babies there. I'm just trying to get one successful spawn where the babies don't get eaten, then im going to let nature take its course for every other spawn. I might have gotten you confused. I originally ordered a breeder box that doesn't separate the eggs. I wanted to get it so the other fish don't eat the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom