TanganYika Cichlid Setup with lots of dead coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vega

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In lfs, i saw the tanganyika cichlid's tank that been setup with crushed coral as substrate and a wall of dead coral as backdrop.

It was the most amazingly beautiful salt water mimic tank i ever seen. :eek:

Now i am thinking to setup 1 as well.Is it advisable to fill a tanganyika cichlid tank with full of coral? Anyone tried this type of setup and have no problem with the fish?

The coral acts as a buffering agent to raise the ph to 8.0+ .. which is the natural ph of Lake Tang. These fish prefer such high ph. You don't necessarily need coral as backdrop though, just the substrate should do it.

Coral will work fine in your Rift Valley tank but try to avoid stuff that's TOO rough and make sure that you clean it thoroughly before you use it.

I'm not a fan of crushed coral in Rift Lake aquariums for the simple reason that so many African species are substrate sifters- which can lead to injury when they begin sifting through a substrate full of sharp pieces of coral and shells. The same thing applies to the coral background. As nice as it may look, there is a huge potential for injury when a fish brushes against a piece of it.

In my experience with African species, sand is the best substrate. Caribsea makes a type called "Sahara Sand" that is specifically made for African cichlids- and it looks great! It's supposed to help maintain a high pH, but since my water is liquid concrete- I couldn't speak on those capabilities. Plus, all those rocks, shells, etc. you add to the tank will also help keep the pH high.

Back
Top Bottom