Tanganyikan stocking for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am going to have an empty 55 gallon here soon, moving the herd over to a larger tank and I have decided that I want to put fish from Lake Tanganyika into the 55. I have been wanting to do a Vic or Tang tank for a very long time, ever since I bought my Nyererei's and now is my chance :) Im looking for stocking ideas! I have already made up my mind that I really, really, really want a Calvus or Altolamprologus compressiceps Nangu (Black Compressiceps) Can I have both??? And I most definitely need to have a Tropheus Moorii Lufubu. So would love to stock around these guys. I already have a couple Julidochromis Marlieri and Brichardi. Another question I have would be if I can keep my Nyererei's with this lake? I know they are Vic's but could I? The splashes of color from these couple of lakes have me hypnotized and I am STOKED to do this! Would absolutely love to hear some input! I have attatched a couple picks of the must haves :) Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• lufubu.jpg
    lufubu.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,682
  • images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,425
Howdy!

The tropheus really should be kept in a group, the larger the better. In a 55 I'd recommend 12-15. Of course, that limits the room ya have for other stock. Ya can try a smaller group, but ya may have trouble with aggression within, especially if ya end up with excess males. Singly they will survive, but don't seem to show their best colors IMO. Other than that, the marlieri, brichardi and the calvus or compressiceps will work with the tropheus. Just keep tank size in mind. A lotta tropheus fanatics keep species only tanks, but I do know a few people who mix them with other Tangs without problem. Gotta love the Lufubus, BTW!

Over the years I've mixed fish from the different lakes with mixed success, so today I recommend against it. Haven't mixed lakes in many, many years. IME, Tangs end up gettin' the short end of the stick when mixed with fish from the other two, but I haven't kept nyererei. I'd advise havin' a tank ready to go to put the nyererei into if things go south.

Good luck!

WYite

Hey! Thanks so much for the reply! Great info! I have my Nyererei's mixed with my Tang's, Mbuna and other Malawi species, so far everything is great! The Nyererei's are BY FAR the meanest fish in the tank, they outdo my Mbuna in aggressiveness times 10. I could keep them with the Malawi in the bigger tank if the Tang species don't deal with aggression well. My Mbuna and others deal with their harassment quite well and actually stick to they're guns when they've had enough so I suppose they will move with the rest to the 125. I'm extremely excited for the Calvus or Compressiceps! I have a D. Compressiceps in my Mixed tank and she is my fav! I like the Troph a lot but idk if I'm committed enough to stick to species only because I like variety haha! That's how I ended up with what I got now ;) I'm hoping to get some free time to research this lake more, all the rockwork that's in the 55 will stay and I'm not too sure if it's enough cover considering there is a whole lot of shell dwellers to choose out of lake Tanganyika!

Attachments

• image-3554202392.jpg
    image-3554202392.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,405
Back
Top Bottom