Tank Mates for GBR in 40 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NillyWilly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I am in the process of cycling a 40 gallon breeder, and would really like to put a pair of German Blue Rams in when the tank is ready. Can anyone recommend some interesting tank mates for the rams that they have had experience with? A bristlenose pleco will be in the 40 gal as well, and I would love some dither fish in there.

Would angels, or perhaps another small cichlid, be good neighbors for the rams? Any advice is appreciated, this will be my first time keeping cichlids!

You might be able to do Apistogramma, but they have the same niche as the rams. Guppies, cories, and small tetras are good options. Mollies get big enough that they're not the best, and a school of Glowlight tetras can be very interesting.

Def apisto’s, or Kribs. Some cory’s for the floor, some bueno Aires tetras for the mid level, maybe a koi angel or a EB acara to clean up some of that fry.

I’m a big fan of schooling fish with smaller cichlids. So hatchet fish, tiger barbs, Odessa barbs, rummy nose, bengal danios, rainbow’s to name a few other.

I have a 25 gallon with 2 GBR, 4 cory, 6 cardinal, 2 oto, 1 dwarf gourami (he get attacked by the GBR) and 2 nerite snail.

All peaceful except for the gourami getting attacked.

Cory are fine, i wouldnt put a gourami in there but i believe that an Angel would be perfect since you have a 40gal. I cant put an Angel in a 25 :/

Back
Top Bottom