Tank size and tank companions for a Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyote251

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All, I currently have a young Jack Dempsey (2.5 inches) in my 30g tank. How long do I have before I will need to move him to a bigger tank? How fast will he grow? He is currently in community tank and does not seem to bother any of the other fish but I do have another 30g tank that I could start up for him. Also, when i do get a large tank what would be suitable tank mate suggestions. I am looking at getting an 80+ and would like to have at least one other large fish and then some smaller cichlid's as well.

They grow rather quick. My jack grew about an inch each month. With Weekly water changes and a good diet it should get pretty big in no time. I would say start looking for a tank within a month or two.

Yea I agree mine actually grew really fast too and can also get pretty aggressive as well

Some possible tank mates

Large Cichlids
Green Terror
Texas Cichlid
Severum

Small Cichlids
Convict
Salvini
Firemouth

There are others but just off the top of my head. You need to put whatever you buy into the new tank at the same time as the JD. The JD will otherwise take over the tank and chase the others. It will likely do that anyway as mine is pretty aggressive but gives you a better chance of it working out long term.

You may have a month or two tops before he becomes a eating machine and devours other fish. IME they are better with tank mates in a larger tank but that doesn't mean that there will be no aggression issues. Each fish has it's own personality so one jack could easily wipe out a whole tank while the next could be best buds with its mates.

Back
Top Bottom