test kit - ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haleybeth30

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a master test kit today, followed instructions while testing ammonia and the results were absolutely clear? The chart states yellow is 0 ppm?? I held it in the light against white part of chart after 5 min.s and see no color.. help appreciated =)

Are you sure you put the right amounts and check and see if it is expired. Some tend to expire a no one notices

ha ha nevrrmind. I just retested it, so far yellow/good. I missed a step, sorry and thank you. Nitrite next

ok my ammonia is 0.25 what do I do? I'm testing nitrite now. Thanks again

to clarify, =) so because my PH is high the ammonia level is ok?

0.25ppm is fine, the lower your PH the more toxic ammonia is.

I have no tolerance for ammonia in my tanks. 0.25 is too high in my book. That tube has to be yellow for my approval. I agree that the higher ph will make it more tolerable, but I feel safer when it reads 0!

ok my nitrite is .50 so I'm heading for a water change after all? did 50 % day before yesterday

I have no tolerance for ammonia in my tanks. 0.25 is too high in my book. That tube has to be yellow for my approval. I agree that the higher ph will make it more tolerable, but I feel safer when it reads 0!

Agreed but my main tank always seems to be .25 and I have tons of filtration and do pwc every week w no issues. Even right after a change its .25. Tap has ammonia but sometimes it gets to zero for a short time. It SHOULD be ok hopefully. Mine has been for 6 months

Yes the higher the PH the lower the toxicity of ammonia. What where the nitrites? Remember to shake to day lights of the bottles and tube when testing for nitrates.

I thought it was the other way around?! The higher the PH the more toxic the ammonia is and if the PH is too low ammonia can convert to nitrites instead of nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom