Thinking About Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johncake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I've successfully maintained a 25g High tropical tank for a while and I'm going to move my inhabitants (mostly different tetras) into a smaller 20g tank and I'm thinking of trying some larger cichlids in the bigger tank. A few questions before I devote too much time to researching the right stuff.

Is my tank to small? I know that some cichlids get big but there are some that are smaller?

If I go with some of the smaller types is having two or three okay (versus the "schooling" tropicals?"

Any other beginner cichlid consideration?

Many thanks as you help me develop things to consider as I peruse this concept.

[/code]

Most chiclids will get to big for a 25. Check out 'shellies' though. Great fun to watch but will hang mostly on the bottom. You could probably do some yellow labs but not much more.

There are a few shell dwellers you could go with in that size tank, several species don't get more than 3". Neolamprologus multifasciatus is the smallest cichlid of all, but still full of attitude.

This page has good profiles of several of the shell dwellers.

You also might consider the 'dwarf' cichlids. South American varieties include members of Apistogramma , Microgeophagus (like Rams) and Nannacara. African dwarfs, besides the shell-dwellers, include Pelvicachromis (like the 'kribensis) and Nannochromis. None of the ones I named require the hard, alkaline water of the African Rift Lake cichlids and all are a good size for your 25 gallon tank. In fact, you might be able to handle a couple of breeding pairs if you provide plenty of hiding places for them.

I was just looking at some rams at the LFS tonight and thinking of alli*'s new fish. They are really pretty.

I am LOVING my new Bolivian Rams. I've my fingers crossed this is a healthier batch then the last, and so far they look great! Active, colorful and eating well.

I also think the dwarf cichlids are a perfect choice for a 25g as mentioned by Fruitbat (mine are in a 25g too - yours the Eclipse show tank as well johncake?). You could also do a pair of Angelfish if you're looking for a larger cichlid; a pair of angels and a pair of rams would make for a lovely tank, with a maybe a small school of otos for algae clean-up.

What about one or two bigger fish (say ones that get 4 - 5 in) ones versus many smaller ones?

Also, most sites I read talk about spawning quite a bit. How common is this?

What do you do with the babies?

Thanks.

Rams are the best! Especially when you get a breeding pair. I have a good time watching them parade the school around.

What about one or two bigger fish (say ones that get 4 - 5 in) ones versus many smaller ones?

Just don't try this with Africans. Most of the Malawi mbuna (the kind I have) are very colorful and active, and get about 4-5 inches. But two in a 29-gallon is a recipe for disaster.

You could always keep the tanks like they are and get a bigger tank for the cichlids (and so it begins :twisted:).

Now you're thinking like I would Johncake. :) A pair of Firemouth cichlids would do well in that tank. I started my cichlid experience with them. They don't get too large (about 5 inches), and are easy to keep and breed.

Whatever you do avoid putting in two african cichlids. I made that mistake and nearly lost a fish to bullying. A. cichlids need to be in bigger groups so that heigherarchy is formed but no one cichlid becomes the constant victim. I have a 50 gal tank with africans in it but for a 25 I would definetly go with south american cichlids. I have a new Panda Dwarf which is super cute.

You could try two female convicts. Another 4-5 inch cichlid, but a South American one. Just make sure you don't get a male. :p Else you'll have lots.. and lots.. and lots... of baby fish.

Female convicts have orange on their sides/stomachs.

I agree that you should stay away from larger cichlids in that tank. I keep south americans, and my 55 isn't big enough - I just upgraded to a 125 so the fish can stay happy!

Yes generally African cichlids do better in trios or larger groups, but some of the shell dwellers can fit 5-7 in a 25g since they are so tiny.

South American and Central American species do better in pairs.

The trouble is there are more than 100 chichlid species available to aquarists, ~3000 species in the wild. There is a lot to choose from, a lot to learn.

IS your water naturally hard with high Ph or soft with a low Ph? SA/CA species generally like softer water and Africans generally like harder water. It is a LOT easier to try to fit your fish to your water than the other way around. :)

How about brichardi in the 25 gal? They are relatively easy to breed, are lovely, and compared to some cichlids are not terribly aggressive.

Thanks for all of the feedback. A few more questions...

I mentioned this earlier, but what if I were to get a pair of one type of cichlid? Does the 1 inch per gallon rule apply here?

Others have suggested smaller or dwarf species. Do these exhibit the same characteristics of the larger fish, only just in miniature?

Also, it seems in my research that there is a lot of focus on breeding cichlids. Why is this? What do you do with the babies? What if you don't necessarily want to deal with that?

Thanks again for the great responses.

Abandon the 1-inch per gallong rule. You could not have 2 10-inch fish in a 20-gal, for instance.

People are drawn to cichlids for their beauty and for their breeding practices, since it is very interesting to watch. I know some zebra danios are "faithful" but it is just not the same thing, LOL!

Many cichlids make excellent parents, too, so you can leave the fry in with the parents. I know with Brichardi the fry grow up and help to protect the subsequent broods, and the family lives together for a time.

If you don't want to deal with the aggression associated with picking a mate, etc., then get all females. If you don't mind the babies, they make excellent feeders for other fish, since you know they are healthy and safe to feed.

Back
Top Bottom