turtles + cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armenkk1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to china town a few months ago and there they sold 2 baby red eared sliders (as big as a quarter, which is illegal, but it is china town) for $5 a pair. so I currently have 6 turtles and they haven't grown at all. they are cool but I would like to add them to a tank with some fish. does anyone have any experience with adding cichlids and turtles together, if so what type? thanks

What's illegal? I wouldn't recommend it by I'll let someone chime kn

it's illegal in some states to sell turtles under 4". You can, however, sell them for "scientific" purposes if they're under 4". Personally, I wouldn't add a turtle to an african cichlid tank. The pH would be to high IMO

herp_mommy said:
it's illegal in some states to sell turtles under 4". You can, however, sell them for "scientific" purposes if they're under 4". Personally, I wouldn't add a turtle to an african cichlid tank. The pH would be to high IMO

Do you know the reason behind that? Just curious. I wanted a baby turtle :(

The ban was brought into effect under the Public Health Services Act by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to address the problem of Salmonella infections in children. Prior to the ban there were an estimated 250,000 cases of Salmonellosis in children and infants that were associated with pet turtles in the US.
And they came up with the 4 in rule because children can't fit them in their mouth.

herp_mommy said:

I have had mine for a little more then a year and the ph is 8.8

I though most turtles were peaceful and will only attack/eat smaller fish. Thanks Andrew for the info I had no idea! No wonder it's impossible to find these guys

corinne118s said:
I though most turtles were peaceful and will only attack/eat smaller fish. Thanks Andrew for the info I had no idea! No wonder it's impossible to find these guys

I got mine from WWW.turtleshack.com I think that's right musk turtles are fully aquatic and never get out. And they only get to be 4-5 inches so I figured it won't be able to fit my African Cichlids in its mouth. And not once has it even tryed to go after my fish. The bumble bee cichlid nips at it from time to time and it just swims off. Now when I give worms as a treat every now and then if my Cichlids leave it hanging out of there mouth the turtle will Chase it till its gone or my cichlid hides from it. But no harm done and its quite easy to care for. All I do is feed it I have no heat lamp and no special light.
But with a slider you'll need a way for them to get out and bask so you'll need all those things.

Not musk turtles, they are fully aquatic even see turtles aren't fully aquatic because they have to surface for air but thats just from what ive read and studies even say they bask. But I know musk turtles dont bask cause I have one. I even made a spot for him to get out witch was a waste of my time since it doesn't use it.

Back
Top Bottom