Two females in love...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yaxley

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello Cichlid lovers!

I need some advice about a female Sajica Cichlid and a female Convict Cichlid. The two have spent the last month swimming together and fin slapping, but now have completely dug out a spawning cave and are guarding it relentlessly!

The tank is 25gal and I have owned the Sajica for 6 months as she was one of the first I started with.

The Sajica is twice the size of the little Convict and whether she thinks the other is male i'm not too sure. How does anyone think the confused affair will end when the eggs don't hatch? Should I leave them too it?

Any advice welcome!

Nick Yax

Are you sure they are both females? If they are being overprotective in the cave I would check for eggs on the ceiling of the cave. If you could take some pictures and post em that would help.

Well the Convict has the typical female bright orange stomach but could a male also have this? I know that the Sajica is definitely female as she once spawned with a male that had to eventually be separated because he looked like he would kill her. Past trauma causing some confusion I don't know?

It does appear like there are eggs within the cave and the digging is endless! I'll try and get some photos up but having difficulty attaching from the iPhone.

Thanks for any more help.

Nick

Here are a few photos to show the sort of thing that's going on! The first image is the convict I believe to be female.
The second few are of the spawning cave they seem obsessed with, the Sajica will not even leave to collect flake food today (her head just pokes out a little).

The final image is of my South American Puffer! Just for fun...

Nick

Attachments

• image-965107252.jpg
    image-965107252.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image-1180539944.jpg
    image-1180539944.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image-246006479.jpg
    image-246006479.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image-246565652.jpg
    image-246565652.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 102
Here are a few of the (hopefully female) Sajica but she moves so quickly when out of the cave it's impossible to get a good shot!
Nick

Attachments

• image-1903648067.jpg
    image-1903648067.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1714662681.jpg
    image-1714662681.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2297241912.jpg
    image-2297241912.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 94
Well naturally...but genuinely this is very confusing! I'm almost positive they're both female...

Normally convicts are really easy to breed but when they do the female never leaves the cave and the male is gaurding the abe making sure no other fish get close so if the sajica stays in the cave and the convict swims around i doubt they are spawing. If you wanna make sure that what you saw are eggs i would just wait a couple of days to see if theres any fries. Convict eggs only take 7 days for them to become wigglers so i'd just wait and make sure

Back
Top Bottom