UG Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilBangarang

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey... i am stocking my 45 gallon tank w/ 3-5 yellow labs, 5 clown loaches and something else that can live with labs.us [suggestions?] i no most people say cichs need to be kept alone.us if you're going to say that, dont comment please. maybe corys? my dad gave me a ug filter setup.us can this be kept with labs. if i put a thicker layer of gravel maybe? can i still build some caves

I wouldn't use any type of UGF on any setup. It simply isn't the best option. Cichlids prefer sand anyways. On that tank I would recommend an AquaClear 110.

Clown loaches get too big for that tank, and are not the best option for a cichlid tank. A 45 is realtively small for any type of African cichlid, you have room for a group of cichlids and maybe a maintenance fish (bristlenose pleco, Synodontis sp. for cleanup, not much else).

i also have a penguin filter that is an extra just likes my dads on his 55 gal... it's always healthy. labs are 4 in max.us i've only seen clowns get to 3 1/2 in even a 55

In a 45g I would skip the majority of mbuna due not enough swimming room, they really do need a 4ft tank. The only mbuna I would recommend would be a dwarf mbuna like Saulosi, and only if they are housed alone.

I do agree regarding the UGF, they are a great source of bactiera growth using the entire substrate as a filter until the underside of the plates gets filled with debris then they turn into a nitrate factory.

Several years ago, back in my last journey in fw aquariums, I was big into cichlids. I finally gave up on standard undergravel filters because of the digging/thrashing, plus the generally nasty waste-production... I tried something "different" - a "reverse-flow" undergravel filter. I got the inexpensive conversion kit for my powerheads (foam pre-filter and connector to adapt the output of powerhead to the ug filter tube). Once things had a chance to settle down (primarily a semi-cycle), this worked MUCH better than the traditional ug filter. Once very 2 months, I pulled the powerhead off and stuck the intake of my canister into the ug tube to such out some of the accumulated sludge. Overall was a pretty good set-up, and would have worked well (in my opinion) for a bit less "hearty" fish as well. I don't think it would have been any better than a normal ug filter for plants, though!

I keep schools of 5-6 clown loaches in all my mbuna tanks. I know they get large but they are extremly slow growers. Plus I love the contrast in body shape and color to the mbuna/peacocks.

I've had great success with Rainbow Sharks with mbuna as well. They graze on algae and accept pellets very easily. The africans pay absolutely not attention to him as well. I also have one of these in both of my mbuna set ups.

I have used them with CA/SA as dithers to break up aggression but never with africans. They are large schooling fish reaching 4-5" that really do require slot of swimming space so a 4ft tank would be a plus. They are very quick and very social, where the space is allowed a highly recommended fish.

hey... i am stocking my 45 gallon tank w/ 3-5 yellow labs, 5 clown loaches and something else that can live with labs.us [suggestions?] i no most people say cichs need to be kept alone.us if you're going to say that, dont comment please. maybe corys? my dad gave me a ug filter setup.us can this be kept with labs. if i put a thicker layer of gravel maybe? can i still build some caves

I know you said you wanted something other than a cichlid to go with your labs. But a couple of month ago I got 3 White Tail Acei and I already had 2 Electric Yellow Labs and 2 White Labs and they all kind of hang together and the colors look beautiful together.
Mine are still fairly small but this is what they look like.

Also I started out with an UGF, what a PITA it turned out to be. The UGF caused more ammonia problems than it fixed anything else. It was a constant battle with it, don't waste your time. In theory they sound great, but in reality they bite.

Attachments

• 5_12_2011 Topaz.jpg
    5_12_2011 Topaz.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 5_12_2011 Turq.JPG
    5_12_2011 Turq.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 86
all advice ive had suggests keeping your gravel thin, because having a thick bed of gravel/sand can cause more dead spots in the substrate.

as for companions, what about some silver sharks (aka bala shark)
theyre a pretty good looking fish, and very peaceful, assuming your tank is long enough?

all advice ive had suggests keeping your gravel thin, because having a thick bed of gravel/sand can cause more dead spots in the substrate.

as for companions, what about some silver sharks (aka bala shark)
theyre a pretty good looking fish, and very peaceful, assuming your tank is long enough?

There are a couple of problems with the Bala Shark.
1. They are a schooling fish and one by it's self will be very stressed out.
2. They grow to be 16" long
3. They love to swim very straight and very fast, making them unsuitable for the average home aquarium. By the time they reach their full size they need a minimum of 6'-7' long tank to swim openly.
4. They are major jumpers they will fly right out of your tank.
5. The least of the problems are that their water requirements are very different from the Malawi cichlids.

If you had a 150g-200g long tank with a HEAVY lid and just had a school of Bala Sharks (aka: Silver Sharks) that would be doable.

Back
Top Bottom