taking in fish from family member after emergency, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

celexaprozac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
as title says, my gran had her 60 gal tank start leaking a ton of water and she had to get the fish out and somewhere safe asap so i just took them in at 12am.

Ive now got gouramis, fire and an unknown possibly opaline, rainbow and red tail sharks, neon tetras, a clown pleco, and what looks like a clown loach but its missing the middle stripe, its only got two black stripes one on each end. she said it may be some sort of catfish but i dont know/remember what kind.

one of the gouramis is enormous like the size of my hand/about the size of a bluegill but with a slightly less fat body but i cant see its sides clearly. the other looks like a fire gourami though. she also has got some neon tetras that are really really faded with their color which is raising fears of a microsporidia outbreak if one dies. what can i do to improve the neons color situation? ive already hit the tanks and temp storages with preventative doses of bacterial/fungal remedy

the catfish mystery fella and the neons are in one of my tanks right now but the other one just got setup and is still clearing out the substrate that got disturbed when i added water.

ive never cared for any of these fish aside from neons, though ive got a powder blue gourami. her other gourami, that i cant clearly see to confirm if its an opaline, is by far the largest fish i have ever had in my care and im concerned as i do not know how or what to look out for behavior wise with such a large fish. the sharks, pleco, and gouramis are going into a 20L tank as its the largest tank I have available for them at the moment. they all cohabitated previously so I have no qualms about housing them together, this new tank will be bioactive and have plenty of plant life as well as visual barriers but I would like to know what can I keep with these fish in the future?

can any of these fish be kept with golden wonder killifish? i currently have them alone in their own tank due to being very aggressive and fin nipping some mid level fish when they tried to feed but im wondering if any of the sharks can be kept with them since theyre slightly larger than the killis and wont be threatened as much by them, or will the sharks become the bullies to the killis?

id post pictures of the ones i dont know about but right now i have the gourami in a heated and filtered 5 gal bucket setup right now since the main tank is murky still. the catfish clown loach lookin guy is hiding though

im really sorry if ive messed anything up or didnt go to the right place here, this is my first time posting here and my friends i have in the hobby are asleep as its now 2 am. please ask me any questions if i missed some info ill be happy to respond as this was really all of a sudden and i didnt get to ask many questions as my biggest priority was the safety of the fish

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Good on you for helping out gran at midnight. Not sure many people would do that.

Time to buy her a new tank, a bigger one :)

Rainbow sharks, redtail black sharks and plecos need driftwood, algae and biofilm (slime on the glass and ornaments) to feed on. The sharks and some plecos will also eat fish foods that sink to the bottom.

Whilst the sharks were living together in the big tank, they are highly territorial and will probably kill each other in a small tank. If they are big (4 inches +) they might have a go at other bottom dwelling fishes or fish that resemble them in shape or colour. Monitor them and if there is any fighting or even displaying to each other or other fish, separate them immediately.

You could put a shark in with the golden wonder killifish as long as there is plenty of hiding places (driftwood and plants). Make sure you have a cover on the tanks with sharks or killifish because they can jump.

------------------

Don't keep dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) or any of their colour varieties with other gouramis, especially blue or gold (Trichogaster tricopterus) because all gouramis are territorial and if you have a male blue or gold gourami, it could kill the dwarf gouramis. In a big tanks it's less of an issue but they can't be kept together in small tanks, and preferably shouldn't be kept together at all.

The fact the fish were living together previously doesn't mean anything when you put them in a smaller tank. The stress of being moved and crowded into a small environment can make them change very quickly. Monitor all the fish for stress and aggression.

------------------

You don't want to add chemicals to tanks unless the fish have a disease. Adding medications prophylactically can add to the stress the fish are already under and promote drug resistance in disease organisms. You are better off just having lots of plants and hiding places and doing big regular water changes and gravel cleans every day or two to keep the water clean.

At this point you have done what you can. Put them to bed, go to bed yourself and see how things look over the next few days.

Hello, just a heads up. If it is a clown loach you may want to quarantine for about a wk or 2 & in a separate tank.
It is very common for for them to break out with ich when they get to stressed. With tank failure, move & over crowding your best bet would be to separate. This way you won't have to deal w/a tank full of sick fish. Hope this helps!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom