UV Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoor3773

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my Malawi cichlid tank I current have a wall of ocean rock spanning from one end of the tank to the other. I'm really happy with the setup. The problem is I really like my rocks to be clean, I don't like brown and green algae growing on the rocks and have to remove different rocks every couple of weeks to clean and keep on top of it. I ve heard that a UV filter can stop algae growth do you think it's worth investing and does anybody use one.

Ive never used one myself, but heard they work well if u get the right wattage. Malawi cichlids love algae and will eat it off the rocks, they wont keep them "clean" though.

I have an 18w in my 125. Looks just like any other tank I've had in the past. When the bulb burns out I will not be replacing.

I have a built in 9 watt uv on my filter in a new setup up. I like it so far but can't tell yet wether it's helping with algae or not. I do know they only kill whatever passes within an inch or so of the uv bulb so in turn it would only kill what passes through the water, not actually anything already established. This would also depend on your filtration. My filter cycles my tank 4 times an hour where as many smaller setups do just enough to keep the tank detoxified. Uv units are said to help with green algae and many other things causing other diseases in fish. I do know I had a friend who got iCh twice and lost many fish to it even after treatment and temp increases. The third time he bought a uv sterilizer and didn't lose a single fish ( in a tank full of 1/2 inch lab fry and a badly beat up adult azurus ). I suggest to get an inline sterilizer, depending on your system and a bristle nose pleco. 30 or so dollars that soon you wouldn't regret spending IMO

Fallout is right, uv only kills what's in the water. Any algae on deco will have to be taken care of some other way.

So It looks like I'm gonna have to buy more steriliser tablets. Lol

Getting algae on the rocks is almost unavoidable. However if you want to cut down on the algae's growth shorten the time the lights are on and keep excess nutrients in the water column low by doing frequent water changes. Another option is to add fast growing stem of floating plants that will out compete the algae for nutrients. Bristle nose plecos will also help.

Personally I think algae on the rocks looks great. Gives the tank a more natural and less sterile look.

Malawis are supposed to graze on algae during the day. Algae makes the rocks look more natural as well.

Jmedic25 said:
Malawis are supposed to graze on algae during the day. Algae makes the rocks look more natural as well.

Its not the algae per-say that the fish feed on its the aufwuchs that they eating. Aufwuchs contains diatomous unicellular algae, but also microorganisms, insect nymphs and larvae, crustaceans, mites, snails and zooplankton. Not all fish from lake Malawi eat the aufwuchs it's mainly only the Mbuna species that you will see picking at the rocks. The Labeotropheus and Labidochromis species are the most common to be seen eating off the rocks, they both has evolved specialized jaws and teeth to aide in this.

Back
Top Bottom