venustus roaming alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gauriemma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
images

So i have about 10 other malawi umbuna cichlids for about 1 month.
They all get along as good as cichlids do. No real bullies yet, they are still small 1 1/2" to 2". But the past few days this one has been alone and not eating. Shes swimming fine, no marks,spots etc looks healthy. Tank is a 55 lots of rocks, wet/dry, very clean, pwc every week 10%, fed different foods, flakes,pellets,ghost shrimp. WHat can i do ? Anything? Ammonia 0,nitrites 0, nitrates 5, ph 8.0, temp 79.

can we see a recent pic of her chin or is this a recent pic?
she could be holding if her chin is down.

or it could be that its just been forced away by a newly esteblished heirarchy and is an outcast for the time being. hunger will take over and it will get more confident in this case.

or much worse, its contracted some sort of disease. is it bloated, scales out, pale, torn fins/scales, white spots - any of these? they arent for one disease but can be multiple, i just want to know whats going on x

can we see a recent pic of her chin or is this a recent pic?
she could be holding if her chin is down.

or it could be that its just been forced away by a newly esteblished heirarchy and is an outcast for the time being. hunger will take over and it will get more confident in this case.

or much worse, its contracted some sort of disease. is it bloated, scales out, pale, torn fins/scales, white spots - any of these? they arent for one disease but can be multiple, i just want to know whats going on x

Yeah nothing on chin suggestion babies. no bloating skin is great she looks perfectly normal.

gauriemma said:
So i have about 10 other malawi umbuna cichlids for about 1 month.
They all get along as good as cichlids do. No real bullies yet, they are still small 1 1/2" to 2". But the past few days this one has been alone and not eating. Shes swimming fine, no marks,spots etc looks healthy. Tank is a 55 lots of rocks, wet/dry, very clean, pwc every week 10%, fed different foods, flakes,pellets,ghost shrimp. WHat can i do ? Anything? Ammonia 0,nitrites 0, nitrates 5, ph 8.0, temp 79.

That fish looks bloated to me, I would lay off feeding for 3-5 days.

Nimbochromis venustus are actually a Hapaclormin not a Mbuna, they grow to 11-12" and need a 6' plus tank and have different dietary needs than Mbuna. These fish are extremely aggressive carnivores and any fish smaller than them will be food.

As for the rest of your fish only feed them a high quality pellet like NLS, Hakari or OmegaOne. Also there is no need to feed brine shrimp, if Mbuna get to much protein it can actually cause Malawi bloat which can be lethal.

its funny my "ven" was very shy and roamed alone all the time... it actually got bullied a while by my OB until to split them up... but still the ven stayed all by itself and was real timid...

Back
Top Bottom