Weird behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach103

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I switched to a 55 from a 30 about 2 weeks ago roughly. I used all new substrate and water but took my decorations from the old tank. I took the filter cartridge from my old tank and ran it for about 4 day in the new tank to put some bacteria in it. I let the old fish acclimate and get used to the tank for a couple days than added some more. Yesterday I noticed one of the cichlids scraping against the sand on his side and another hitting the back glass in the same fashion. I tested the water and ph was around 8.0 as usual but the ammonia was at a 1.0. I quickly did a water change and checked just now and its at .5. Now I am noticing that the one hitting the glass is holding his fin close to him and rarely uses it and they are both hanging out by the power head near the back glass. I also noticed some white/tan poop from a smaller cichlid and two danios. And when my dempsey is out shes spends most of the time going up and down against the glass. My tank is a mess please help me.. i plan to do another water change tonight and my cousin said if I add salt it will damage the plants.

You may have accidentally killed off your bacteria and started a new cycle. If your media was in the new tank for four days without any fish, decaying fishfood/waste or added pure ammonia, then there would be no food to sustain the population so there might not be enough now to keep the cycle going.

You may have accidentally killed off your bacteria and started a new cycle. If your media was in the new tank for four days without any fish, decaying fishfood/waste or added pure ammonia, then there would be no food to sustain the population so there might not be enough now to keep the cycle going.

Yep this is definitely a possibility.

Ya my cousin suggested the cycle problem. He seemed to just have the wait it out idea. He has had numerous fresh and salt water tanks so he's pretty reliable. What would be my solution to this. I know for salt water they have bacteria you can add when starting a tank would fresh water have the same product and would it be beneficial in this situation or stick with the wait it out idea.

Also with the Dempsey going against the glass like it sees another one, should I add a male Dempsey to the tank for her?

I am still rather new to this and have been reading as much as I can but I'm sure you all have noticed nothing is set in stone when it comes to fish.

Agree w molliwop but seachem stability can't hurt and maybe stress zyme. I used both starting out w no issues.

Back
Top Bottom