What cichlids could I get in a 28g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinnib123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 28g tank (92litre what cichlids could I get I already have 2 kribensis pair

2 pairs? Or two fish? Either way, I would say no more cichlids, and any fish should be more of an upper column fish, as when kribs breed, they can get nasty to fish that wander near. If you have two pairs, i would even consider rehousing one pair because of how aggressive they may be towards each other in a tank that size.

Yellow labs are a nice choice, but I'd steer clear of demasoni since they're pretty nasty temper wise. You'd need a bigger tank (55G+) with multiple Demasoni to spread that aggression, or multiple species of males. Shell dwellers are also a good choice for a 28G, though I'm sure someone with Tanganyikan experience can chime in with suggestions. I actually had 6x Ps. Saulosi in a 29G, went well but they weren't fully matured or had females, so the aggression wasn't that bad yet. Honestly for this size of a tank, I'd only go with 1 specie and have dimorphic breed like, Saulosi, with a 1:4 or 3:9 male to female ratio (though 3:9 is REALLY pushing it). This way aggression isn't too bad, you get popping colors, and little juvs swimming about in the future (y) just my 2 cents at least lol

I would say you could do 2 pairs. A pair of yellow labs, and a pair of demasoni's. Neither get over 5.5 in.

African rift lake should not be mixed with west African riverine species (kribensis). The aggression and social behaviors, as well as preferred water conditions do not match at all and the kribs will more than likely be the ones taking the most damage.

And Tanganyikan shellies, while cute and tiny, as a colony WILL kill a pair of kribensis, through stress or through violence and aggression. My multifasciatus colony, mind you they are the smallest cichlid in the world known to man, have killed 2 bristlenose and my lamprologus leleupi who is double their size knows to steer clear of them. Not to mention the need tons of shells, don't do well with plants (they uproot them or bury them.

Back
Top Bottom