What else can live with malawi cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesselav1233

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gallon tank with 8 mbuna cichlids in it my question is what if anything else can live I this tank with them?

I don't know exactly what ones they are all I know is someone said they were mbuna on here. At the store it said assorted Malawi cichlids for the yellows and it said African malawi cichlids for the blue ones?

There definitely gonna need more hiding places. There rock dwellers and like caves and such so they can hide out.

Orange ones are red zebras.
Yellow one (I only saw one in those pics) is a yellow lab
Blue one is tough to say but looks like Pseudotropheus elongatus likoma island. That's judging by what looks like a black line running horizontal across the edge of the fins. But like I said. Tough to tell from the pic.

Just for your knowledge, yes they are all mbuna and yes they are also all Malawi.

Mbuna (meaning rock dweller) is a type of cichlid found in lake Malawi.

Last edited:
Yeah I added a bunch of more rocks today got 25 lbs for $15 and it looks great I'll post some pics tomorrow

Malawi Freak said:
Just for your knowledge, yes they are all mbuna and yes they are also all Malawi.

Mbuna (meaning rock dweller) is a type of cichlid found in lame Malawi.

Yes I was right! See I'm learning lol. Why am I still up lol. Oh yeah... Staring at my tank :)

See your knowledge is spilling over to the New York side.

Malawi Freak said:
That's cause we all know the real talent lives in jersey and works in new York. Lol, jk

OH!!!! Man!! Nice one! Ya got me good!! Haha.

So seriously Malawi would agree more rocks for caves?

Also what about a Synodontis?

Jesselav1233 said:
So what can live with these guys?

Well if that's an elongatus, you're options are going to be limited. They get nasty and I wouldn't be surprised if they knock off a couple of those red zebras. But they are my absolutely favorite of all cichlids, my tank has been worked around them with my saulosi, chailosi, and likoma island. As soon as I get my hands on some chewere they will be going in too.

I have loaches with mine (1 clown 2 horse face and 2 dwarf). Never once have I see any of them get chased. I also have 4 synodontis cats and 2 plecos plus a striped Rafael cat. Occasionally a synodontis will get chased out of the rocks by my maingano but those have been really trying to breed lately.

How many more rocks did you pick up. The more caves the better the attitude in the tank. If everyone can have their own section they will be better off. That doesn't mean it will happen though because one nasty guy might try and claim the whole thing. Thats why overstocking is recommended. So many fish going through constantly spreads the aggression out without a certain fish always being singled out. Never the less that doesn't mean it will always work. I always see my likoma island elongatus chasing the second to largest red zebra.

Jesselav1233 said:
Crap so I'll prob have to rehome him then that sucks he's really cool looking

Not necessarily. Just monitor them as they start to mature and see who is becoming the boss

The blue one is a pseudotropheus socolofi displaying stress-barring which is a 'mood-based' temporary pattern that can come and go.

The stress-barring is most commonly seen among some sub-adult specimens (though I had a fully matured solid powder blue male momentarily display them anytime the alpha male red zebra approached within a foot of him).

Socolofi's are very common in assorted mbuna tanks and aren't as aggressive as the elongatus species.

So many crazy names lol here's some better pics of the new rocks I picked up and hopefully some more clear ones of the fish it's hard cause they won't stay still long enough to get a clear pic

Back
Top Bottom