What else to feed our African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russrimm

Aquarium Advice Activist
We've got a tank full of Africans, and I'm getting bored with dropping in cichlid flakes, algae disks, and the occasional zucchini. What else can I feed them that is exciting to watch?

Keep in mind we also have a blue botia, pleco of some sort, and a catfish in the same tank.

Thanks!

They will enjoy occasional bloodworms and blackworms, but not too often because of the risk of bloat with mbuna - they will still scarf them down.

blood worms are ok with the pleco/catfish? I remember reading somewhere that there were certain foods you didnt want to put in if you had a pleco or catfish or something. Can't remember what it was.

Never had a problem with that - you definitely do not want this to be a regular item on the menu, but a weekly treat is great. There are plecos that have a completely vegetarian diet and will not even look at a bloodworm, and there are some that are omnivorous and benefit from them.

I am not sure if this is ok or not, please don't hate me for doing so..but every 2 weeks or so I go and buy some feeder fish and feed them to my cichlids. It is sad to watch but also very interesting. I am unsure as to the nutritional value of this but so far they are doing awesome and growing so fast that I am off today to get a bigger tank.

You could also try earth worms or night crawlers. Also some good things to feed them would be brine shrimp, plankton, krill, tubifex worms, and beefheart would all be good. Even insects such as crickets or meal worms would be a good treat.

The problem with feeders, is they are weakened fish that may bring disease to your tank. Plus, your fish do not need the additional protiens.

I used to feed my angels earthworms from my garden, since I knew there were no pesticides or fertilizers in there. They went nuts over them!

The fact is, especially when it comes to African mbuna, a quality spirulina-based flake like Omega One is the best thing for them, plus the fresh veggies. They are going to eat just about anything you put in there, but dealing with bloat is just the worst. I know some elite cichlid breeders who feed exclusively New Life Spectrum cichlid pellet, even to their mbuna, and not a thing else, with excellent long-term results. You may be bored with the same old thing, but it is sortof like feeding your dog. They get the same thing every day and as long as it is high quality, with a few supplements of fresh, they will live a long, healthy life.

Here is a link to a review/analysis of NLS, just to give you an idea of what mbuna keepers in particular have to say: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=69704

Back
Top Bottom