What is the smallest Chichlid breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
As the title already said, what is the smallest Chichlid breed?

NatureFish
????

I believe neophagus multifaset or multis for short. Spelling may be wrong

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is the minimum tank size they can be in?

NatureFish
????

Type the name in Google and research the fish

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

10 gallon but a 20 long would be better. These are shell dwellers and won't tolerate any tank mates

Well I have a 10 gallon! Are they easy to care for and are they common (would petsmart sell them)?

NatureFish
????

No kinda hard to find. But they breed like crazy. Check e bay and Craig's list.

Or order them on line

What about those tiny blue ones with black stripes.... Are they suitable for a ten gallon? I'm a beginner if you can't already tell.

NatureFish
????

But please resurch them 1st. They are cool little fish with a big attitude. Sand and shells are all they need for decor

Very few cichlids can go into anything smaller than a 55 there are some dwarfs but I'm not good with them still a 10 won't work well with the dwarfs either

Awe. I really love Chichlids but I wouldn't want to accidentally stress them out too much. I was just curious.

NatureFish
????

The pretty blue ones at Petsmart are young African Cichlids. They get decent size and need room as they are quite aggressive.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe neophagus multifaset or multis for short. Spelling may be wrong

Are you referring to Neolamprologus multifasciatus?

Small shell dwelling species from Tanganyika. If have done them in a 10g tank. Very easy to do. Just have a sand substrate and and some small shells.

A pair of apistogramma would do fine in a 10g tank as well.

N. multifasciatus are called shell dwellers because they live and breed under shells.

If you put the shells in the tank with them they will typically breed and form a small colony of little fish. Fairly interesting to watch. One of my favorite rift lake cichlids. Not colorful, but fascinating behavior.

Cool! So you think one of those is ok in a ten gallon? I definitely don't want to accidentally kill an expensive fish that I ordered online!

NatureFish
????

I would start with at least 5-6. They are quite small.

Also, before you have one shipped to you I would check to see if there are any local fish clubs. Multies are a fairly common fish so there may be someone in the area.

I don't want to mess this up so I'm going to try my hand at some super easy keepers and then if I get to that point I'll keep this breed in mind! Thanks guys! :)

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom