what species of cichlids would u all recommed for a 150 g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Malawi or Victorian, due to their milder aggressive nature, beautiful colors and great personalities, and they tend to stay on the smaller cichlid size, mine range from 4-6 inches as adults I'd guess, maybe 7.

First is one of my juvie lake Victoria ( male) second is my hogs in my 140g thinking they are going to get some food. The auratous ( sp) is mild mannered and not a terror, saved him from a bad tank compatability , there is a ob peacock who is act the aggressor in there and an ele blue who is starting to grow fins in nice after a few months .... He was in with a few jacks and convicts, thought to be dying... I can't wait to set up my 75g... My brother in law is giving it to me...

Attachments

• image-551940288.jpg
    image-551940288.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 140
  • image-2191426072.jpg
    image-2191426072.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 144
TiffanyFinatic1 said:
also which lake?

What is your ph?? Mine is 8.2 and I have Malawi cichlids! I love that they have the right ph since 8.2 is normally high for tropical FW fish :D

In a 150 I would go with lake Tanganyika, there is a tons if choices for fish in different colors and body shapes. Do to the fact they occupy different areas of the tank you have a good mix w/o to much aggression. I was recommend 3-4 species for my 90 gal so I would imagine you could do 5-6 species.

Here's a some you may like:
Altolamprologus compressiceps or Calvus
Cyprichromis leptosoma
Ophthalmotilapia ventralis
'Lamprologus' multifasciatus
Julidochromis
Eretmodus cyanostictus
Xenotilapia singularis
Tropheus

www.davesfish.com is a great place to look at allot of the fish from the 3 lakes i recommend checking it out.

Only thing is, from previous OP threads, this is a 150g cube isn't it? Forgive me if I'm wrong...

Flossie said:
What is your ph?? Mine is 8.2 and I have Malawi cichlids! I love that they have the right ph since 8.2 is normally high for tropical FW fish :D

mine is 7.6 as the PH

Mogurako said:
In a 150 I would go with lake Tanganyika, there is a tons if choices for fish in different colors and body shapes. Do to the fact they occupy different areas of the tank you have a good mix w/o to much aggression. I was recommend 3-4 species for my 90 gal so I would imagine you could do 5-6 species.

Here's a some you may like:
Altolamprologus compressiceps or Calvus
Cyprichromis leptosoma
Ophthalmotilapia ventralis
'Lamprologus' multifasciatus
Julidochromis
Eretmodus cyanostictus
Xenotilapia singularis
Tropheus

www.davesfish.com is a great place to look at allot of the fish from the 3 lakes i recommend checking it out.

k thanks i personaly like the sout americans due to the big size

yes it is a 150 cube
:)

Cube's are tough to stock IMO, the just don't allow room for large south/central americans so I would lean towards africans. I would do something uncommon and go with Vics over Tangs or Malawi.

Pundamilia nyererei Igombe Island
Xystichromis sp. ''Kyoga Flameback'' Lake Nawampasa
Pundamilia sp. ''Blue Bar'' Hippo Point
Astatotilapia aeneocolor Lake Albert ''Yellow Belly''

Are just a few to look at, these are not something you don't see often and since the same goes for a 150g cube I think they would be cool together. That would also make a cool reef tank after getting it drilled for some overflows and a sump.

Last edited:
Hukit knows his stuff :) it is best to go with fish that will be best for your set up :)

I would do something uncommon and go with Vics over Tangs or Malawi.

Pundamilia nyererei Igombe Island
Xystichromis sp. ''Kyoga Flameback'' Lake Nawampasa
Pundamilia sp. ''Blue Bar'' Hippo Point
Astatotilapia aeneocolor Lake Albert ''Yellow Belly''

[/QUOTE]

I looked high n low for my PN Vics, I got juvies off aqua bid and they are growing nicely. I fell in love with their coloration. Color is starting on 3 males, which is good as I have 18 total :) along way off from breeding as they are only about 2 inches or so. But cant wait!

The first part of my post was a repost from Hukit. I deleted just to repost some of Hukits post, sry Hukit... It didnt show up as such.. Not intended to steal anything....

Back
Top Bottom