What to do with a 150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duddits

Aquarium Advice Freak
Possibly picking up a 150g tank, stand, canopy, lights, sump and power heads for $400. Now the decision. Should I do a large cichlids or do another Malawi mix tank? The aquascape would be amazing for a Malawi mix but I've also thought of doing some large fish. I saw a blue jack Dempsey that I'd love to have but the idea of only 3-4 fish isn't very appealing to me. Ideas/thoughts?

Big tank... Big fish! Just my 2 cents. :) I would go Oscar, but the Dempsey looks sweet too.

Just do a GIANT shell dweller tank!!!! Haha just kidding :) although that would be cool!

You could do a brackish set up with red/orange chromide cichlids (the only brackish cichlids) and archers :)

Freakgecko91 said:
Just do a GIANT shell dweller tank!!!! Haha just kidding :) although that would be cool!

You could do a brackish set up with red/orange chromide cichlids (the only brackish cichlids) and archers :)

Hmm a shell dweller tank would be kind of cool though. I might look into that. I'm starting to lean into a busy tank. Lots of driftwood, plants, sand, multi color fish like peacocks. I don't k ow yet. Think I'll just set up a dry run to see what I like an then see where it goes. Big fish seem cool, but boring though

I wanted to do a brackish set up sooo badly with archers, red chromides, knight goby, and a crazy fish (butis butis) so i say look into that! Especially archers, sio much fun to feed and watch!

Duddits said:
Hmm a shell dweller tank would be kind of cool though. I might look into that. I'm starting to lean into a busy tank. Lots of driftwood, plants, sand, multi color fish like peacocks. I don't k ow yet. Think I'll just set up a dry run to see what I like an then see where it goes. Big fish seem cool, but boring though

If you were to do a Shellie tank, you could create multiple planes for them to live on with slate and gravel and another layer of plants. I think it'd look incredible if you did it right not to mention they'd breed for you!

Like top dwelling fish, Shellie's tend to only go less than 6" off the bottom :/ but I like tht idea to tier it, that could look coolwhat are the dimensions?

Yeah the tiers are the suggestion to that! But I'm not sure what might be a good addition otherwise... Hmm

I've kept a few different community type fish (guppies, danios etc) with shelldwellers and had no issue. Some people say that they have problems though, but I never did.

I like the EBJD though personally (because I have one), but stocking around it can be a little tricky. You could go with some smaller cichlids like some sort of less common convict variant. I have not been able to keep any schoolers with mine, but I have not tried any of the larger species.

Dimensions are 72"x18"x28" same length and depth as a 125 just a little taller.

Looking at the shell dwellers I'm kind of iffy. Not much for vibrant colors like Malawi cichlids have. So not sure still

If you already have a malawai tank how about a lake tanganiken tank? Sorry I know I misspelled!

Just a thought, big fish = lots of waste and they can tear up your decor. Consider your appearance of the tank and maybe work around that. Keep us posted!

Oscars and jack dempsey wil do the trick. Go with these 2 amazing cichlid pair...

mohican said:
Just a thought, big fish = lots of waste and they can tear up your decor. Consider your appearance of the tank and maybe work around that. Keep us posted!

That's exactly my thought. I think I'll rough sketch my lay out on paper and go from there. My plan is to have a store display/show tank appearance. I want it to be a successful tank but a show stopper too. I'll definitely keep you all posted on what I come up with.

Back
Top Bottom